Woody

PoolHD in W10 OR is there a migration guide to DriveBender?

3 posts in this topic

Team,

I now need to migrate my PoolHD W7 environment to W10.

I would like to stick with PoolHD - as it has served me very well - but I guess there is unlikely to be a release of a W10 compatible version now?

That being so, I'll try BobXT's previous recommendation re regsvr32 /u PoolHDContextX64.dll but I am naturally nervous. So, does anyone have a good guide for migrating from PoolHD to DriveBender prior to updating to W10?

Thanks,

Woody.

Hi Woody,

Unfortunately it appears that PoolHD is not being advanced any further. The workaround I previously used is not enough for the new Windows 10 releases. PoolHD worked very well up until the latest release. :-(  :angry:

Also current changes in Windows 10 "1607" is now no longer allowing PoolHD to work at all.

Anthony has kindly swapped my PoolHD licenses over to Drive Bender licenses, so it is looking like a migration sometime in the future.. I will hold it off for a while though until I **REALLY** need Windows f****ing 10..!

I am not yet sure what the best approach to migrating from PoolHD to Drive Bender would be. Perhaps you should email Support and ask..?

HTH,

Regards,

BobxT

Bob,

A big thanks for this. You are right, as I discovered the hard way ...... RS1 releases (now Anniversary edition) are not compatible with PoolHD - in fact, it goes bonkers and seems to recursively create mount points ad infinitum.

Given that PoolHD support has been dropped (I had purchased a licence) I didn't then want to invest in Drivebender for fear that it might go the same way. I have therefore gone for DrivePool, which is still actively being developed and has a strong community.

Actually, it is possible to migrate from PoolHD direct to DrivePool by first uninstalling DrivePool and then renaming the root directories for DrivePool.

Note: that DrivePool has a slightly different approach to Pool HD, in that it balances total disk usage across drives. For example, Duplicated directories will always be duplicated but non-duplicated directories are not evenly spread - which confused me at first. Otherwise, it seems a very solid product.

Best wishes,

Woody.