Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
34253dgwrt6

[Resolved] Updated DB, Shares Got Deleted

I had the same issue. Updated Drive Bender to 1.9.5.0, and all WHS shares disappeared.

Now to figure out how to get them back.

And I'm curious: How is this thread marked [Resolved]? I don't see any resolution posted.

@Karyudo, Is your system a WHS2011 system? If so when it comes up with the shares missing are they the standard WHS folders? Does WHS ask if you want to recreate those folders? If so you can just say yes and point it to your DB pool drive. When the share re-appears the data should all still be there. Not sure if you can do this same thing if using Win7 as your DB machine.

I rebooted the server again today, and the shares are back. So that's nice. But I'm still not sure why they went missing in the first place.

Two things drive me nuts about computers: when they stop working, and I don't know why; and when they start working again, and I don't know why.

In any case, good to know explicitly that this was fixed by the version I'm using!

@Karyudo, Is your system a WHS2011 system? If so when it comes up with the shares missing are they the standard WHS folders? Does WHS ask if you want to recreate those folders?

Yeah, WHS2011. All shares were missing, both standard and user-created. WHS didn't ask if I wanted them recreated -- I think it got stuck on trying to find out if there were any folders or not (i.e. it still said "Searching..." or whatever it says, exactly). Everything else seemed to work fine, and I'd already logged out and in again as DB recommended, so I was at a bit of a loss. But as I say, a full reboot (not just log out/in) seems to have done the trick!

Hey there,

This is probably due to the "Server" service not running on the WHS box. The Server service effectively shares resources with the network from your server.

The WHS installer package for DriveBender (and probably the regular build as well) adds DB as a dependency for Server, so if the DB service / volume isn't running or takes too long to find (add and parse) all disks and become available before Server can start then a timeout condition can occur.

I initially had this issue from time to time as I use a series of iSCSI disks.

You might consider setting Server to delayed start (list box on the general tab of the Server service properties), so DB (and it's dependencies) will have some extra time to start up before Server starts.

To manually start the affected services probably the easiest thing to do is open the services list from Computer Management, sort them by startup type, then individually start the ones with start type of "automatic" that aren't currently running (a few won't necessarily start, Performance Monitor used to be a good example)