Division-M Community

Drive Bender v2, let us know what you think

For cloud support, it would be great if Driver Bender could support Amazon Glacier and Amazon S3.

I hope DriveBender v2 is faster; not sure if it's my drives, but it seems to max out at ~30MB/s on average.

I really like the idea that someone else posted of a SSD cache / RAMDisk support; it would be great if DriveBender could cache data before to enhance throughput.

Also, perhaps the interface can be moved to be web based?

This all looks very sweet! It sounds like VSS is the toughest nut to crack so I?m just crossing my fingers.

For down the road the thing I?d like to see is a file location catalog so that in the event of a drive failure we can determine what was on the failed drive.

Again, great work and thanks!

The new feature set sounds great. Personally, I'm most excited about the new balancing options. I'm crossing my fingers that the folder level balancing will be as powerful as unraid offers. I want to be able to have folder structure like TV>Show>Season and maintain the contents of a given Season folder on a single drive. That way if/when a drive goes bad I'm not trying to rerip random episodes from 20 seasons of 8 different shows.

I'm guessing the file system structure on the drives will stay the same for basic prime and dup files so that we can just load the software over our current install. It would also be nice to know what data would become not accessible in the event we needed to fall back to 1.x software from the v2 beta?

And I 2nd Tomper's question on the WHS addin classic interface.

VSS - very difficult to sort out it seems ... but so very required for me! :)

I really need to go back to running my Veeam Hyper-V backup of my virtual machines - since integrated DB onto the server I've been having to manually back them up .... a very tedious job with downtime on the VM's!

Really hope you manage to sort VSS out sooner rather than later - if you need someone to help test then give me a yell, I'm happy to spend as much time as you need on this to help get to a working solution.

Thanks,

Steve

I really like the idea that someone else posted of a SSD cache / RAMDisk support; it would be great if DriveBender could cache data before to enhance throughput.

Ha ha, i thought at the same thing. I would also really like an option to cache the most used files on a specific (fast) drive.

So im really excited to see the new duplication in action.

I like the idea of the file loction catalog either. 

And I 3nd Tomper's question on the WHS addin classic interface.

i don't need cloud after prism  ;) i have 14TB of data in DriveBender what the hell i need the cloud when i have DriveBender. i hate the call "cloud cloud cloud we are modern!!"

VSS: must  ..but no NFS  :-[

New user Interface: nice not must

Network drive Support: nice

Pool to Pool replication: nice

Drive specific duplication: why?

Cloud specific duplication: absolut not nice not must

File system health monitor improvements: must

Hard drive performance Monitor: is this not in the 1 version?

Enhanced file balancing Options: Nice

Multilingual support: must

Under the Hood: MUST MUST MUST

I've been trying to decide on a pooling option for my WHS2011 server. The feature I've been trying to find is your proposed folder-level duplication feature. I want my movie files (metadata, artwork, media) to all stay together and not get spread across several drives. If you implement this feature I'll definitely be getting DriveBender.

I've been trying to decide on a pooling option for my WHS2011 server. The feature I've been trying to find is your proposed folder-level duplication feature. I want my movie files (metadata, artwork, media) to all stay together and not get spread across several drives. If you implement this feature I'll definitely be getting DriveBender.

Just wondering, why do you want your movies to be on specified drives? You don't need much speed to stream media - just a couple MB/s - any old drive will do.

Thanks for the great feedback... thought I would chime in and answer some of these questions.

For cloud support, it would be great if Driver Bender could support Amazon Glacier and Amazon S3.

We will be implementing additional providers after the release of this feature.

I hope DriveBender v2 is faster; not sure if it's my drives, but it seems to max out at ~30MB/s on average.

That is slow, my guess is it would be your drives or some other bottle neck with your I/O system.

We did look at this as part of v2, and decided against it. However given it has been mentioned a number of times here, we may need to rethink this.

Will version 2 still have the WHS 2011 add-in with the classic theme?

Yes.

For down the road the thing I?d like to see is a file location catalog so that in the event of a drive failure we can determine what was on the failed drive.

Our internal builds have a similar feature (we log a number of file system operations to a SQLite3 database), and we did consider moving this to the release version. However our concern was that it adds to much complexity, and other than third-party SQLite3 viewers, there is no way a user can access this information. Maybe this wont be included in the core product, but we may look at how we can allow users to set this up themselves.

The new feature set sounds great. Personally, I'm most excited about the new balancing options. I'm crossing my fingers that the folder level balancing will be as powerful as unraid offers. I want to be able to have folder structure like TV>Show>Season and maintain the contents of a given Season folder on a single drive. That way if/when a drive goes bad I'm not trying to rerip random episodes from 20 seasons of 8 different shows.

This is the intention of folder level balancing.

I'm guessing the file system structure on the drives will stay the same for basic prime and dup files so that we can just load the software over our current install. It would also be nice to know what data would become not accessible in the event we needed to fall back to 1.x software from the v2 beta?

Yes.

VSS - very difficult to sort out it seems ... but so very required for me! :)

I really need to go back to running my Veeam Hyper-V backup of my virtual machines - since integrated DB onto the server I've been having to manually back them up .... a very tedious job with downtime on the VM's!

We are also hoping the same thing. We have invested well over a month of solid development in this and want to see it work, however it need to work reliably before it can be included.

VSS: must  ..but no NFS  :-[

NFS was not explicitly included in this list, however as part of the overall v2 development, these NFS issues are being looked at.

Would love to see Crashplan added to the cloud backup somehow.

It currently does work with Crashplan... we use it here for our offsite backups.

Also it's rather disappointing not to see the addition of being able to have a hot spare drive.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this?

Hard drive performance Monitor: is this not in the 1 version?

v1 does this via SMART, however v2 will actively monitor drive response times and report on slow responding drives.

That is too slow, unless you're using old 500MB IDE drives or perhaps external USB disks?

For comparison. On large files (DB uses a single disk) I get 120-145MB/s (basically max speed of the disk). With smaller files that are balanced across the disks, I can get speeds of 250-400MB/s.

I'm using internal disks and each pool has its drives spread across 2 controllers.

Would love to see Crashplan added to the cloud backup somehow.

It currently does work with Crashplan... we use it here for our offsite backups.

Also it's rather disappointing not to see the addition of being able to have a hot spare drive.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this?

I am using Crash Plan to backup my data, but I meant the new "Cloud specific duplication" feature. Maybe I'm understanding that feature wrong?

For the hot spare, what I mean is to have an extra drive in the pool that is not being used for anything. It is a spare drive. Then if a drive in the pool dies, the spare drive is automatically added and gets used and then whatever was on the now dead drive will be moved to the spare drive as long as it was duplicated.

With something like this DB could even detect that a drive is starting to die and automatically move the files over to the spare drive before any data gets lost.

Then you just need to remove the dead drive and add another drive to be assigned as the new spare drive.

Is this in reference to the Cloud Storage feature for duplication coming in v2, or are you saying that you use CrashPlan in its normal/intended-usage-scenario for backup of your PCs?

(I'd like to do the latter, but am just thinking in my head what I may have to do/avoid.  I think if I point CP to the pooled drive/mount, it should be fine.  But open-file-copy would be a question I would have - I don't think CP uses VSS, but since you mentioned you were struggling with it, it's a concern.)

-AJ

Is this in reference to the Cloud Storage feature for duplication coming in v2, or are you saying that you use CrashPlan in its normal/intended-usage-scenario for backup of your PCs?

We use it to backup a number of our pooled drives (nothing to do with the cloud duplication coming in v2).

(I'd like to do the latter, but am just thinking in my head what I may have to do/avoid.  I think if I point CP to the pooled drive/mount, it should be fine.  But open-file-copy would be a question I would have - I don't think CP uses VSS, but since you mentioned you were struggling with it, it's a concern.)

-AJ

Crashplan does not require VSS, however I believe it will use VSS if the underlying file system supports it.

We have just added this to the feature list, quote form the blog

Landing zone support (feature added after user demand)

This is the ability to set a specific drive to be used for all writes to the pool, then at a later time, these files are to be moved from the landing zone drive to the rest of the drives in the pool. The idea here is that a fast drive can be set as the landing zone to improve overall write speeds to the pool.

This is the ability to set a specific drive to be used for all writes to the pool .....

Not sure if this option would take over a full drive or whether you could point it to a directory instead? if it was the latter it would mean I could make better use of my SSD in the server (which basically sits there not doing a hell of a lot once the OS is loaded!). I could create a directory on the SSD and point it to there instead.

It would need a maximum "cap" though in DB so that it didn't use up all the available disk space?

• 2 weeks later...

We have just added this to the feature list, quote form the blog

This is the ability to set a specific drive to be used for all writes to the pool, then at a later time, these files are to be moved from the landing zone drive to the rest of the drives in the pool. The idea here is that a fast drive can be set as the landing zone to improve overall write speeds to the pool.

Fantastic!

Now since the landing zone is a single point of failure, will Drive Bender support RAID 1 for the landing zone, or will I have to RAID the drive first in the OS before adding it to the pool?

This is a great feature to speed up Drive Bender ... currently I can only achieve ~25MB/s in transfer rates :)