Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
aweber

SMART status is Bad?

Just added some existing drives to a new DB pool (new install), and the SMART Status for one of the drives shows "Bad" -- but all the (other) values listed are OK.

Should I trust the SMART Status of Bad, and get my data off this disk ASAP, or could this be a false alert?

Related: Is anyone running hdsentinel Pro alongside DB, and does that work OK (no conflicts)?

Thanks,

AJ

I have HD Sentinel Pro with DB and the only thing I had to do was delay the loading of the HD Sentinel service. Otherwise my pool drive won't mount properly. Otherwise, they seem to play along nicely.

As for the 'bad' drive, what exactly does HD Sentinel had to say about it?

I haven't loaded any standalone HD Sentinel product.  I was on the fence (kinda why I posted the question)...and great feedback, btw...thanks.

The DB "Drives Dashboard" with the "Show Advanced Options" open has all green except for the "S.M.A.R.T. status: Bad".  Showing the "SMART Attributes" doesn't really reveal anything spectacular, but those are really confusing to be honest (did review the informational page at HD Sentinel site, but still couldn't figure out why the drive is complaining).

I ordered a couple new WD Red disks, and will replace this one just to be safe.  But I'd love to take this thing out and put it through some testing to verify or refute the status.

Does HD Sentinel have a "Thorough Test" type of function that will seriously test a SATA disk?

"Does HD Sentinel have a "Thorough Test" type of function that will seriously test a SATA disk?"

Yes.  I was in the same boat.  I have had one marked as bad.  There are two ways to do a full surface scan.  You can do a read only scan (that's what I do and returns perfect status) or a read + write + read scan the really test every sector.  My worst drive scores a 10 out of 100 and says the the expected life is 10 days.  It has said this for months and the log files show no alerts in the last few months.  Everything on that drive is duplicated so I plan on running it until it dies and then swap it out.  I have a ton of old drives laying around and I plan on using DB (and HD Sentinel)  to squeeze the last  bit of the life out of them.  I know this is not the safest thing but none of the data on that drive is mission critical.

I ended-up buying HD Sentinel "Pro", and it told me almost the same thing.  9 days.  I don't know how long that disk has been like that, so I can't comment on whether that's even close to accurate.

I liked that the s/w was able to tell me that the drive was still in warranty and got me to the right website to RMA it.  I sent it back, and from the email thread I've received, it sounds like Seagate is sending me a new/replacement drive.

Today I had a drive say that the SMART Status was bad, yet all the SMART attributes were okay and running the mfg hdd test software it past everything except SMART status.

So I went to remove it from the pool and it was going fine until it got stuck on a file and then the progress wasn't going anywhere. This has happened to me when removing a drive from the pool before. I don't see how a 15MB picture file can take over 30 minutes to move. That issue is for another thread ( and its a VERY frustrating issue that does not seem to get fixed! ). Anyways, I rebooted the server and now the SMART Status is all good and running the mfg hdd tester gives me a pass on everything!

Still gonna remove the drive though and will order a new drive when I can.

Funny I just had the opposite. A drive died and no smart warnings from sentinel/DB.

This has happened to me when removing a drive from the pool before. I don't see how a 15MB picture file can take over 30 minutes to move. That issue is for another thread ( and its a VERY frustrating issue that does not seem to get fixed! )

One of my big gripes with DB as is. Error handling on drive removal is just dumb, as there is none.