Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
tomhall

User folders ...

Hi - in WHS v1 each user had their own folder "in the pool" eg. D:\shares\Users\Tom

With WHS v2 (2011), is seems that the user folders are on the c-drive eg. c:\users\Tom

Q: is it ok to move the \users folder into the pool or should I leave it on the c-drive ?

-Tom

Those user folders have all the users windows settings in them, I wouldn't recommend moving them. You can create user folders in the pool and share them out. My Documents etc can be redirected to the pool if you wish but it shouldn't really matter unless someone is actually using your server as a desktop PC.

Mike

Hi,

So you are saying that DriveBender doesn't support Windows permissions?  Wouldn't that be a problem for any of the shared folders?  Why would the user shared areas be any different then the other shares?

Tom

Yes, Drive Bender does support windows permissions. You should be able to move all the default WHS server folders to the DB pool and set permissions for each user defined to the server including Guest access for users not defined.

Of course it suppots user permissions. I'm saying that the user folders are also used for program and windows settings etc. If you blindly move those folders programs wont be able to find their settings. You want to move My Documents and other user storage folders off of the system drive due to the limited size but to blindly move /users will cause problems.

Mike