Division-M Community
Bonzo

Multiple Primary Files Detected

I was trying to recover a pool after a boot drive mishap and ended up "merging" in a drive that I had apparently previously removed. DB is now reporting that I have "multiple primary files detected" and it looks like it has even been so kind as to go through and re-name the duplicates for me, appending a "(1)" to the end of the file name.

Two questions: (1) How can I make sure these duplicates are actually bit-for-bit duplicates? Or has DB already done that level of comparison?  (2) if two files are bit-for-bit dups, what's the best way to get rid of the duplicate file and free up that space?

Thanks!

(1) If using XP you could use windiff.exe (dropped from newer Windows versions), but I see you're using WHS2011 which is newer than XP. You could use the command line line FC (File Compare). You could use the open source http://winmerge.org tool.

(2) Delete the dup file using Windows Explorer. Use the command line DEL to delete the duplicate file.

Thanks for the suggestion for Winmerge.  Looks like it might be worth investigating.  I wonder whether it would be better to install it directly on the server or on a client?

Also, has anyone used the WHS2011 Plugin "Snoop-de-doop"?  It looks like another option but I'm not sure it's worth $15.  I might give the trial version a try.

After making a similar mistake a couple of times resulting in multiple duplicate files with the (1) attached, I investigated and have used on a couple of occasions "Search my files" found at www.nirsoft.net. Does not need to be installed it's a stand alone and very flexible and powerful.