Division-M Community
browngeek

Drive Bender and Plex problems

I have been using Drive Bender for about the past 18 months, generally without problem.  I am using it to pool my drives for my media files.

I had previously used Drive Bender on an HP Proliant N40L using Windows 7.  The main use for the computer was for Plex Media Server and Plex Media Center (computer was connected to my TV).  I had one 3.5inch 250GB drive as the OS driver (where Drive Bender was installed) and two media HDDs (one 1TB WD Green and one 2TB Seagate Barracuda).  The two media HDDs formed one pool in Drive Bender.  Everything was running fine with this set up.

I recently upgraded to an HP Proliant N54L and transferred all my hard drives (and Drive Bender) licence to this new machine.  However, instead of using the 250GB drive as my OS I installed a 60GB SSD as my OS drive, with the 250GB drive as my data drive (neither of these drives are part of the Drive Bender pool).  The SSD is where Drive Bender is installed, but my Plex Media Server cache sits in the 250GB drive.  The OS drive is connected via the computer’s esata port.

The above seemed to work, apart from one issue.

Pretty much every time I play something on Plex, the video stops and I have to restart it.  I have also tried this on VLC and I have the same issue.  When I move the same media to my 250GB drive or my ssd and play it through both Plex and VLC, it seems to play fine.  I have also recently installed another media drive (3TB WD Red) but not added it to the Drive Bender pool and all media seems to play fine.  I have run diagnostic checks on all my hard drives (both through Drive Bender and through other free software available on the internet) and everything seems to be healthy.  I have also reached out to Plex (by providing error logs etc) and they have looked into, saying that it doesn’t seem to be a Plex issue.

I don’t know if my problem is Drive Bender specific, but it seems it may be.  Any suggestions or what should I be looking at doing next to rule out Drive Bender as a problem?  Also, if you require any further information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help.  

First thing. Is the HDD spinning down? because its separate from the OS and likely most often inactive it could be slowly spinning up when Plex accesses the database files and fails. this may not be the case as you say VLC isn't working either.

2nd thing. Why is your OS drive running off an E-sata?

3rd thing. So the way i understand it, the videos off the Drive bender pool cannot be played directly on the server with VLC (without Plex)? Are you only trying to play over the network?

Thanks, am acutally working through the issues with Drivebender support, to answer your questions:

1.  How do I know if my HDD is spinning down?

2.  Actually don't know, its just a mod that you can do with the N54L. 

3.  Actually the problem is these videos playing either from network or directly from the computer.

Since my OP I have made some futher modifications to my setup as follows:

- Plex cache now sits on OS drive

- Sabnzbd download drive now set to the Drivebender media drive

However even with these mods problem not resolved, and to further make matters worse, it seems sometimes Sabnzbd is having problems downloading to the Drivebender drive.

Today I've actually just changed it up so now my OS is running directly from main power and my second drive is running from E-Sata, lets see if that helps matters.

Just for info, I'm running Plex & DB together, although not quite the same as you.

OS is Windows 2012 R2

OS drive is an SSD out of the pool

Standard install of Plex onto the OS drive (inc. transcoding area)

All video (about 5.5Tb) is stored on single DB pool (total of 8 mixed 2/3/4Tb drives)

All working very well and smoothly out to my iOS devices, Roku, PC etc. including multiple streams at the same time.

Just recently migrated my WHS2011 system drive (C: and D:) to an SSD. My DB pool hosts all my media and consists of 4x 3TB and 1x 4TB, all WD RED drives. These were all untouched in the migration.

At any rate, and just as a baseline for your benefit, I am NOT having issues with media streaming (including HD 1080p) with Plex.

Have you tried enabling/disabling/toggling Smooth Stream?

Just recently migrated my WHS2011 system drive (C: and D:) to an SSD. My DB pool hosts all my media and consists of 4x 3TB and 1x 4TB, all WD RED drives. These were all untouched in the migration.

At any rate, and just as a baseline for your benefit, I am NOT having issues with media streaming (including HD 1080p) with Plex.

Have you tried enabling/disabling/toggling Smooth Stream?

Thanks.  Smooth stream with Plex or with Drive Bender?

I think I've found out what the problem is.

It seems that running both the SSD and the HDD from the additional molex / sata slot in the N54L.

Even when I stopped using the HDD, but left it connected and it was drawing power, the drives in Drivebender seemed to stop working.

I then took the HDD out and it now seems everything is working fine.

Its a bit annoying though, as I was hoping I could use both the SSD and the HDD as well, like done here:

http://www.avforums.com/threads/tims-7-24tb-tiddler-unraid-nas.1429720/

I think I've found out what the problem is.

It seems that running both the SSD and the HDD from the additional molex / sata slot in the N54L.

Even when I stopped using the HDD, but left it connected and it was drawing power, the drives in Drivebender seemed to stop working.

I then took the HDD out and it now seems everything is working fine.

Its a bit annoying though, as I was hoping I could use both the SSD and the HDD as well, like done here:

http://www.avforums.com/threads/tims-7-24tb-tiddler-unraid-nas.1429720/

Not sure if this helps but I was having a similar problem with plex and DB  and it turned out to be my power supply. Was running a 750w Corsair but it didn't have enough molex plugs so I used a couple splitters. I figured it could handle it since I was not using the SATA plugs on the same lead. However after ruining 2 hard drives due to lack of power, constant OS reboots for no reason, and the loss of most of my hair, I switched the PS to my 1000w Thermaltake and have had no problems since other than the occasional network stutter (I assume this is due to transcoding bottlenecks since this equipment is old and slow, or perhaps network lag. Either way its only occasional)

Hope this info help someone :)

Ed

Norco 4020 4U Server Case, 18TB in 14 drives, 120GB Corsair M500 SSD for OS Drive, Asus M3NHT/Mempipe Mainboard, Athlon II X4 630, 4GB Corsair Ram, Windows Server 2012 Datacenter, Drive Bender 2.0.3.8 Beta, Flexraid 2.0u12 Final Raid-F For Real-Time Raid, Disparity for Snapshot Raid (since Flexraid has already cost me data in the past, could have been my fault don't know for sure), Plex Media Server (used on my PC, Android (tablet and phones), IOS Ipod Touch 4G, WDTV (old and slow but it works), Windows Surface RT, and pretty much anything else I can connect to it).

BTW Division-M, I love you guys, the new 2.0 is great, you guys were on the ball with cascading balancing and the new interface is substantially more user friendly than the old version. One request (I know there's always a catch with a compliment), It would be a nice addition to the software if we could specify which drives were to be used for which types of files. Such as drive 0,1,2 used for multimedia and so on. I know this can be done by setting up additional pools but I knda like having a single 18tb drive (this would also allow for pulling specific drives from the system based on content)

Thanks Again for the great software

Not sure if this helps but I was having a similar problem with plex and DB  and it turned out to be my power supply. Was running a 750w Corsair but it didn't have enough molex plugs so I used a couple splitters. I figured it could handle it since I was not using the SATA plugs on the same lead. However after ruining 2 hard drives due to lack of power, constant OS reboots for no reason, and the loss of most of my hair, I switched the PS to my 1000w Thermaltake and have had no problems since other than the occasional network stutter (I assume this is due to transcoding bottlenecks since this equipment is old and slow, or perhaps network lag. Either way its only occasional)

Hope this info help someone :)

Ed

Norco 4020 4U Server Case, 18TB in 14 drives, 120GB Corsair M500 SSD for OS Drive, Asus M3NHT/Mempipe Mainboard, Athlon II X4 630, 4GB Corsair Ram, Windows Server 2012 Datacenter, Drive Bender 2.0.3.8 Beta, Flexraid 2.0u12 Final Raid-F For Real-Time Raid, Disparity for Snapshot Raid (since Flexraid has already cost me data in the past, could have been my fault don't know for sure), Plex Media Server (used on my PC, Android (tablet and phones), IOS Ipod Touch 4G, WDTV (old and slow but it works), Windows Surface RT, and pretty much anything else I can connect to it).

BTW Division-M, I love you guys, the new 2.0 is great, you guys were on the ball with cascading balancing and the new interface is substantially more user friendly than the old version. One request (I know there's always a catch with a compliment), It would be a nice addition to the software if we could specify which drives were to be used for which types of files. Such as drive 0,1,2 used for multimedia and so on. I know this can be done by setting up additional pools but I knda like having a single 18tb drive (this would also allow for pulling specific drives from the system based on content)

Thanks Again for the great software

Hi

Thanks, yes, this does help.

I've been having major issues with BSODs when running both hard drives via a splitter.