Division-M Community
Anthony

Beta v2.0.4.0

Release v2.0.4.0 beta (2014-05-12)
The Drive Bender implementation of chkdsk now reports the reason if it fails to run.
The balancing method setting now applies to how files are moved from the landing zone to the pool even if the balancing option is disabled.
Starting the duplication managed was showing an authorization required dialog.
A worker thread could throw an exception when exiting.
When view a drive in the manager, the drive’s volume name could not be changed.
Changing a drive volume name could cause the Drive Bender service to hang.
When creating a file, the files owner is now set correctly.
Fixed a memory leak that was occurring when modifying a files/folders time stamp of security settings.
The non-pool usage report now displays the correct value.
When a landing zone is specified, if duplication is in use, the file is now duplicated when moved from the landing zone (was being created when writing to the landing zone, negating any speed advantage).
A number of fixes and improvements to the drive adding, removing and swapping features.
The file count maintained by Drive Bender was being corrupted when the file system health task was running (although it was corrected once the task completed).
If the drive swap operation was cancelled, the added drive was still being flagged as "pending add".
The worker thread engine (used for all internal task etc) could cause an exiting thread to hang.
Email notification was not sending email when required.
Under extreme circumstances renaming a large file while it was being moved from the landing zone to the pool, could result in 2 files being created.
When swapping a drive, all system folders (i.e. system folder and the recycle bin folder) are now moved to the new drive.
Many UI fixes and improvements.

All beta versions can be downloaded from here.

Tried this version and also 2.0.3.8. Don't work at all for me, the DriveBender service is forever "starting" according to the task manager, and can only be killed manually via command line. DB manager/console don't work either ("There was an error communicating with the server").

My config: Windows 8.1, several TrueCrypt drives which are offline on startup. Normally, as soon as the drives are online, the DB pool goes online instantly. Then, after a few minutes, goes offline and instantly back online once again (weird, but I've learned to live with it - has always been like this with all versions). Now, even before the drives are online, the DB service just hangs. Windows startup/shutdown is slowed down due to the hanging service. Any ideas? Known bug? Maybe a broken installation (but I even tried to uninstall/reinstall)?

The last message in the startup log says:

[Pool Manager] An error occurred while Drive Bender was starting. Error: Failed to get data for 'Volume Added On'
An error occurred while Drive Bender was starting. Error: Failed to get data for 'Volume Added On'

A curiosity. My pool shows a line called "Non pool used: 529.08GB". This is the "Client Computer backup" folder that WHS2011 uses to store backups for my other PC's. I have this folder on the pool drive. Why does it show "Non Pool used" when it is actually in the pool?

A curiosity. My pool shows a line called "Non pool used: 529.08GB". This is the "Client Computer backup" folder that WHS2011 uses to store backups for my other PC's. I have this folder on the pool drive. Why does it show "Non Pool used" when it is actually in the pool?

Did the health check run as scheduled? The pie chart is off until the health check has run. Health check works fine on my production box. But in my vm installation is does not execute in 2.0.4.0, neither automatically nor on request.

@DIE_KUH - v2.0.4.0 runs fine on my Win 8.1 (Update 1) x64 box with a couple TrueCrypt drives. I had troubles with earlier betas and ultimately had to revert to v1 but all has been well since as did v2.0.3.8. Just adding a data point; obviously your difficulties are real and may be shared by other perspective users.

The Health check did NOT run as scheduled. It also will NOT run using the on demand item either. I tried from both the WHS2011 dashboard and the Drivebender manager. And yes, this is on 2.0.4.0. Of the 3 checks you can request manually, the only one that worked was the file dup checker.

The Health check did NOT run as scheduled. It also will NOT run using the on demand item either. I tried from both the WHS2011 dashboard and the Drivebender manager. And yes, this is on 2.0.4.0. Of the 3 checks you can request manually, the only that worked was the file dup checker.

yup, same here, at least on my vm install. Interestingly all is well on my physical box. Non pool usage will be wrong until it runs.

I'm have my mount point disconnect and not be able to reconnect.. even though there is drive activity going on... Its kind of serious as the only way to resolve is a complete system restart. Links to files below:

Log files - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4405769/DB%20Tests%20in%20Windows/Logs.zip

Screenshot of activity occurring in DB consosle - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4405769/DB%20Tests%20in%20Windows/Screen%20Shot%202014-05-15%20at%2010.40.00%20PM.png

The Health check did NOT run as scheduled. It also will NOT run using the on demand item either. I tried from both the WHS2011 dashboard and the Drivebender manager. And yes, this is on 2.0.4.0. Of the 3 checks you can request manually, the only one that worked was the file dup checker.

Interesting - I had the same problem with v2.0.2.9 beta which was never resolved. No one else reported the same issue. I wonder of some 'services' don't get installed correctly vs a problem with the underlying code. 

Interesting - I had the same problem with v2.0.2.9 beta which was never resolved. No one else reported the same issue. I wonder of some 'services' don't get installed correctly vs a problem with the underlying code. 

I am having the same issue with both Health Check and Drive Balancing. If you try to start either manually, it doesn't work. Duplication Validation does work though.

A small update looking at Scheduled tasks. They all show that their next scheduled execution to be on 5/13/2014. It is now 5/16/2014. It looks like these tasks not only don't run, but also the schedule doesn't move either.

A small update looking at Scheduled tasks. They all show that their next scheduled execution to be on 5/13/2014. It is now 5/16/2014. It looks like these tasks not only don't run, but also the schedule doesn't move either.

This one will not be hard to debug. It's readily reproducible in a fresh VirtualBox install. Will send instructions to Anthony on the weekend.

Harder seems to be the memory leak. It is subtle, only about 1 MB per hour but it adds up over time. What kind of memory usage are you seeing for the dB service?

My WHS2011 box has been up for 72.5 hours on 2.0.4.0 and DriveBenderService.exe is showing Private at 62,896K with working set at 65,036K in Process Explorer. DriveBenderHealthService.exe is showing Private at 49,984K with working set at 58,044K. Seems odd. From my old days with MVS the working set was a subset of private allocated storage so it's odd to me that working set would show a larger number than private allocated storage. Or this could be a big difference in windows storage management compared to IBM's MVS storage management.

My WHS2011 box has been up for 72.5 hours on 2.0.4.0 and DriveBenderService.exe is showing Private at 62,896K with working set at 65,036K in Process Explorer. DriveBenderHealthService.exe is showing Private at 49,984K with working set at 58,044K. Seems odd. From my old days with MVS the working set was a subset of private allocated storage so it's odd to me that working set would show a larger number than private allocated storage. Or this could be a big difference in windows storage management compared to IBM's MVS storage management.

My uptime right now is 40 hours and I am at 107 MB with the DB service. Initially this was 30 MB. I have seen it up to 200 MB but over the past week I had several reasons requiring reboots so I was never able to test how high it would go. Certain is that I have never seen the number go down, which might indicate a memory leak. My numbers for the health service are comparable and this service is not the issue as far as I understood. Would be good to check up in a few days to see how the numbers have changed.

My uptime right now is 40 hours and I am at 107 MB with the DB service. Initially this was 30 MB. I have seen it up to 200 MB but over the past week I had several reasons requiring reboots so I was never able to test how high it would go. Certain is that I have never seen the number go down, which might indicate a memory leak. My numbers for the health service are comparable and this service is not the issue as far as I understood. Would be good to check up in a few days to see how the numbers have changed.

My numbers start and remain small (under 3 MB) for the DB service. However, my implementation is relatively simple with only small amounts of data written each day (10-20 GB). Just another data point. Win 8.1 x64. 

I am having the same issue with both Health Check and Drive Balancing. If you try to start either manually, it doesn't work. Duplication Validation does work though.

Spoke too soon. Just noticed queued tasks for Health Check and Drive Balancing dating back two days. Manual start doesn't work either. Rolling back to v2.0.3.8 ...

There is an issue with the scheduler which we have just sorted. We will be posting a fix very soon.

Tried this version and also 2.0.3.8. Don't work at all for me, the DriveBender service is forever "starting" according to the task manager, and can only be killed manually via command line. DB manager/console don't work either ("There was an error communicating with the server").

My config: Windows 8.1, several TrueCrypt drives which are offline on startup. Normally, as soon as the drives are online, the DB pool goes online instantly. Then, after a few minutes, goes offline and instantly back online once again (weird, but I've learned to live with it - has always been like this with all versions). Now, even before the drives are online, the DB service just hangs. Windows startup/shutdown is slowed down due to the hanging service. Any ideas? Known bug? Maybe a broken installation (but I even tried to uninstall/reinstall)?

This is cause when a mapped drive fails to add correctly... we are investigating.

This is cause when a mapped drive fails to add correctly... we are investigating.

Yup, you fixed it, in beta 2.0.0.4c the pool successfully mounting!

However, when the TrueCrypt volumes went online, I got notifications about DB putting the drives in read-only mode. When I looked in the Manager afterwards, everything said "healthy". Haven't had time to test if the drives really are in read-only mode now.