Division-M Community
klave7

Garbage directories

I recently moved my drive pool to a new computer.  Since the move I have been noticing some garbage random folders showing up in the root of my pool.  It will not let me delete them unless I mount the physical drives individually and remove them from there.  Looking at the logs I'm getting this error (1 for ever folder)

[Mount F:\] - Create file transaction, creating file: "\b78dcd4791129a30b0b9a7644e6ceab9\1033\{filename.ext}" failed with error - Access is denied

then it creates a folder with that long character string.  I'm not sure how to prevent this from happening.  Please help.

Nathan

Windows 8.1

Driver Bender v2.1.1.0

Can't say that I have seen or read about this one before, maybe one of the more experienced members may have a suggestion for you. However, it sounds like to me that you need to collect your log files and send them to Anthony to take a look at them for you and see what the issue is. Once you have you logs open a ticket and submit them. Post back what the solution is for help to future users.  http://support.division-m.com/anonymous_requests/new

I have the same issue. I have been looking into a solution for a while now.

The issue is that these folders are from Windows Updates and/or redistributes, (i.e. vcredist_x86.exe), from Microsoft, set to extract to the drive with most free space available, but for some reason they fail with weird security issues when they are extracted to the pool.

There is no way to set a default extraction location, that I have found, with .exe updates (i.e. vcredist_x86.exe).

For msi. you can use the cmd line to extract to a specific location. (i.e. not your pool)

msiexec /a <name>.msi TARGETDIR=<path>

Hope this helps & hope their is a solution soon.

-Mike

I've got the same problem (I actually opened a support ticket since it doesn't seem like it's been resolved or commented on), but for removing garbage directories it's actually easier to just use a modified takeover context menu. Here's what I use:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Created by: Shawn Brink

; http://www.eightforums.com

; Tutorial: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2814-take-ownership-add-context-menu-windows-8-a.html

; Edited by: ShaRose

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]

@="Take Ownership"

"HasLUAShield"=""

"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]

@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /a && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /c /l && del /F /S /Q \"%1\""

"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /a && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /c /l && del /F /S /Q \"%1\""

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]

@="Take Ownership and Delete"

"HasLUAShield"=""

"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]

@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /a /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t /l /c /q && RMDIR /S /Q \"%1\""

"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /a /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t /l /c /q && RMDIR /S /Q \"%1\""

Just stick that into a .reg file and merge it. After that, right click on a garbage dir, "Take Ownership and Delete", ok the UAC prompt, and it's gone.

Here's what I use:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

Just stick that into a .reg file and merge it. After that, right click on a garbage dir, "Take Ownership and Delete", ok the UAC prompt, and it's gone.

Nice script ShaRose - very useful!

I have the same issue. I have been looking into a solution for a while now.

The issue is that these folders are from Windows Updates and/or redistributes, (i.e. vcredist_x86.exe), from Microsoft, set to extract to the drive with most free space available, but for some reason they fail with weird security issues when they are extracted to the pool.

There is no way to set a default extraction location, that I have found, with .exe updates (i.e. vcredist_x86.exe).

For msi. you can use the cmd line to extract to a specific location. (i.e. not your pool)

msiexec /a <name>.msi TARGETDIR=<path>

Hope this helps & hope their is a solution soon.

-Mike

I am getting the same errors as well when trying to install stuff.

I had a Windows Update fail on me for Security Essentials, so I have uninstalled it, but now I can't re-install it as I get the permissions error message when unpacking it !!

Did we ever get an answer to this ??

I've managed to get the install done by killing the DriveBender process which caused the mountpoint to be come unavailable so the file unpacked elsewhere, in the C: I believe.

At least I have some protection again :)

I have emailed Anthony to see if he can look at this issue.

After reading this whole thread again I see that the garbage directories goes back to at least 2110 so I don't think 2150 is the answer. I will say that I haven't seen this directory issue, but I haven't installed anything on my DB box other than DB upgrades, my WHS box stays pretty static other than DB, WHS, Adobe stuff and other software updates, nothing brand new in quite a while. I had a big crash on 2170 that may be that release or it may be a failing router, at this point my router seems fine and I've backed off to 2150. From a couple other issues I've seen in the Help and Support section there may be a memory leak in 2170, but may be exclusive to WHS2011.

Just rolled back to v2150 and still getting the same error.

@klave7 first reported it on July 5, so it may have been "introduced" in v2110 - released ~16/06

I may roll back to v1950 and see if that cures it  :)

OK, I went back to v2105 but still the same issue.

Now I am back at v1950, but the mountpoint won't mount - just going to reboot again.

On v1950 I don't have any issues.

So, something, somewhere, in v2 has caused this problem (OK, I'm stating the obvious :) ), so we need Anthony yo look into this.

Who raised a Support Ticket for this ??

OK, looks like this is a known issue with v2170.

Here is a link that Anthony sent to me with a work-around in:

http://support.division-m.com/entries/50694169-Installing-a-Microsoft-update-library-or-application-can-result-in-the-installer-exiting-with-an-Acc

It seems to work OK, but the folder created in the root of the mountpoint still can't be deleted until Take Ownership is run against it,

I'm still on 2.1.7 and looking today had many garbage directories in the root of the pool. Most were empty.

I was able to delete directories, except one. Inside that directory is a file called MPSigStub.exe.

I cannot delete this file using the registry "take ownership and delete", and I also cannot delete it using unlocker.exe (a freeware file unlocker and deleter)

I have done full scans with Security Essentials and it says I am virus-free, and this installation is only a few months old.

Anyway, the ONLY way I could get rid of this file was to create drive letters for my individual DB drives and manually go in and "take ownership and delete" the folders within the DB folder structure. I deleted the original and duplicate.

I don't know if this will create an issue with the health of the pool but there was no other way.

If 2190 seems solid I will upgrade and see if this problem goes away.

OK, looks like this is a known issue with v2170.

Here is a link that Anthony sent to me with a work-around in:

http://support.division-m.com/entries/50694169-Installing-a-Microsoft-update-library-or-application-can-result-in-the-installer-exiting-with-an-Acc

It seems to work OK, but the folder created in the root of the mountpoint still can't be deleted until Take Ownership is run against it,

How do I know if garbage directories are being created because of an update failing?

[EDIT] I see from the OP that it is shown in a log. Which log would that be?

when you install an MS product, such as Security Essentials, it will create a temporary folder on the drive with the most free space on, which in our case, will normally be the DB mountpoint.

If you have a problem, the installation will fail, with a permissions error, and you won't be able to delete the folder unless you "take ownership".

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk Pro