Division-M Community
maelstrm

Cannot load Drivebender or access pool after upgrade from 1.9.5 to 2.1.7.0

I've submitted a support ticket, but am putting this here in case the power of the masses is faster. Plus when I get a solution I'll post it here in case it helps anyone else.

After upgrading from 1.9.5 to 2.1.7.0 I cannot mount the DriveBender pool against a drive bender or access files.

Symptoms and troubleshooting steps to date are below. Please let me know if you think further diagnostics would be helpful.

System: Windows 7 x64

Symptoms:
* The DriveBender service now gets stuck in "starting" mode according to SERVICES.MSC
* EVENTVWR.MSC shows a large number of VHyperDrive5 errors, with codes like 87, 1359, 22
* EVENTVWR.MSC shows an error for DriveBenderService.exe (included below)
* The DriveBender log shows errors when trying to mount the drive pool, even when I delete then recreate the drive letter or chose a different letter (note - not using permanent delete so as to keep data structure)

Troubleshooting steps taken:
* Unassign drive letter in interface, reassign same or different drive letter
* 5 reboots in case processes from the upgrade needed to finalise
* Kill DriveBenderService.exe process, wait 5 minutes, restart process
* Use Driver Manager to attempt to uninstall v4 drivers (asked for CAB), uninstall v5 drivers, restart, install v5 drivers
* Uninstall DriveBender, restart, install DriveBender

Additional error from EVENTVWR.MSC
---------------------------------
Faulting application name: DriveBenderService.exe, version: 2.1.7.0, time stamp: 0x53fb970c
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521ea8e7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00038e19
Faulting process id: 0x%9
Faulting application start time: 0x%10
Faulting application path: %11
Faulting module path: %12
Report Id: %13
---------------------------------

Thanks for the responses. I've just had another bash at it and finally got it working.

The final fix was:
* Uninstall DriveBender v5 drivers

* Reboot twice

* Uninstall DriveBender

* Reboot twice

* Install DriveBender to the default installation path

* Reboot

I'm not quite sure why this worked when my previous actions (eg uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, or uninstalling and reinstalling drivebender) didn't. I'm wondering if changing the installation path of DriveBender may have had something to do with it.

For reference, here's the output of DriverUtility when I went through a cycle of uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, without success at fixing the error:

<Note: my actions are noted in these parenthesis so they are highlighted>
<DriveBender cannot mount the pool>
<check drivers in DriverUtil>

---------------------------
Driverutility
Installed driver state returned the following code - 0x00030002h. Driver installation appears to be correct.
OK   

<uninstall v4 drivers>
<receive find CAB prompt>
<close dialog box>

<uninstall v5 drivers>

Driverutility
Please reboot your system...
OK   

<check drivers>

Driverutility
Installed driver state returned the following code - 0x00000000h. Driver installation appears to be incomplete, please uninstall, reboot then reinstall.
OK   

<reboot>

Driverutility
Installed driver state returned the following code - 0x00000000h. Driver installation appears to be incomplete, please uninstall, reboot then reinstall.
OK   

<install v5 drivers>

Driverutility
Driver installation returned the following code - 0x00020000h
Please reboot your system...
OK   

<check drivers>

Driverutility
Installed driver state returned the following code - 0x00030002h. Driver installation appears to be correct.
OK   

<restart>

Driverutility
OK   

<DriveBender still cannot mount the pool>

Very strange. So you're saying you had originally installed DB to somewhere different than the default path? If so, you may want to open a ticket and let the DB folks know that there may be a issue when DB is installed somewhere other than the default location.

Yeah, I had it installed to "c:\program files\drivebender" rather than "c:\program files\division-m\drivebender" since I prefer actually seeing program names than having to remember the names of the studios that make software :)

I opened up a support ticket for the issue at the same time I posted this, since I wasn't sure how quick Division-M's support would be. I've included all of my data from these posts in the support ticket, highlighted that it could be the different file path, and I also asked that they consider including a feature to back up your folder either automatically or when performing upgrades, since the KB articles all warn that if you try one of the troubleshooting steps I tried (deleting and recreating your pool) then you can lose your folder structure - which had me on the edge of my seat until I got the issue fixed and found that mine was fine.

On the plus side, the support from Division-M has been quite responsive - submitted ticket Sept 1st, had a reply by Sept 3rd, at which point it was escalated to Anthony who was responding to me within 24 hours each time I sent more info across.