Division-M Community
revengineer

v2.1.8.0 hosed my pool

This is a stern warning regarding DB 2.1.8.0. This version just hosed my entire pool. After rolling back to v2.1.5.0 virtually all duplicate files are labeled as missing or invalid. Recovery is a pain is the ass too because health check stops when the validation queue fill up. That means that over the next days I will be restarting the health check over and over and over again and hopefully in the end my data will be safe. As you can tell, I am miffed and not just a little. This version should have been labeled as BETA. 

I will say that I had extreme difficulty just getting 2.1.8.0 to run. After several boots I was able to access the pool. CPU was pegged @ 25%, DB normally runs around 1% or less. WHS Dashboard was not usable and neither was DB Manager. Couldn't access DB Realtime monitor (don't know how to tell if the monitor is even running).

I've now rolled back to 2150 also.

Either I don't know how to tell if I have the duplicate file problem or my dups are all okay? I've got a validate running on my duplication. Right now it looks like it may be creating a whole new duplicate set, we'll see what I end up with? I'm not sure of the validate process so it may clean itself up at the end. I'm currently showing 21,046 (which is correct) primary files and the dup file count is up to over 35,000.

EDIT: After a duplicate file validation run and a Health check run on the pool everything appears to be normal. I do think I'll stay with 2150 for now.

Either I don't know how to tell if I have the duplicate file problem or my dups are all okay? I've got a validate running on my duplication. Right now it looks like it may be creating a whole new duplicate set, we'll see what I end up with? I'm not sure of the validate process so it may clean itself up at the end. I'm currently showing 21,046 (which is correct) primary files and the dup file count is up to over 35,000.

EDIT: After a duplicate file validation run and a Health check run on the pool everything appears to be normal. I do think I'll stay with 2150 for now.

The health check finds the problems and fixes them. So if you pass the health check you are good. I had the duplicate file problem occur twice. First, yesterday morning 4 duplicate files were bad which i repaired. Then in the evening the next set of files was affected, this time around 15000!

It took several hour to recover from that because health check will only put so many files in the validation queue. If you overload this process you have to start health check multiple times. It turns out this process is improved over 1.9.5.0 when I had to restart the check about 20 time when I had a similar problem. On the second health check DB stalled and the log file showed  a process with an access violation error. This one needed a reboot. After that one more check and the problem was completely fixed.

In all I am not complaining about the recovery process itself. What scared me was to put my data at risk. Hopefully Anthony can find the problem despite my sparse non-debug logs.

Add me to the list of people who's Pools are now broken due to 2.1.8.0. I've raised a support ticket but so far heard nothing. 

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of 2.1.5.0? Is there any issues with downgrading?

My pool now takes forever for the mounts to appear, Drive Bender Manager won't work at all (asks me to connect and gets stuck in a loop) and then after the server has been running for a while mounts just stop working one by one until the machine is unusable. When I try and restart the Drive Bender Service, it fails to restart and I have to restart my entire machine every few hours.