Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
DrWHS

Can I just uninstall drivebender as you would any other app?

I have a 3 disk pool (2x 2tb & 1tb), and want to return to having 3 disks... can I just remove DB and all data with be intact, or is there anything I need to do first?

Will the files simply be scattered about the disks, due to balancing?

Cheers

To answer your first question, all your disks will be as-is (ie. in a pooled configuration) when you uninstall DB. That said, you will have files scattered about and depending on the number files and directories you have, reconciling them won't be particularly pleasant. :)

If your current pool doesn't have enough ample space left, the best way is to have a 'scratch' disk added into your server (not in the pool) so you can do a phased removal of each drive in the pool. The scratch disk should be big enough to hold a disk's worth of your data, enough so that DB can have enough free space to move files and initiate a disk removal. Once a disk is removed from the pool, use it as your 2nd scratch disk to transfer the files still in the pool and so on.

Does it balance folders, rather than files, meaning that if it balanced files, I could potentially have duplicated folders with the contents spread between them?

Unfortunately don't have the luxury of spare disks lying about!

Ive mounted the three drives, and the root directory contains folders on each drive:

{8C37297C-30C3-489B-B3A3-38BCC806C11A}

{FCAF79B0-AA0A-4A17-9AAA-2F2B48298751}

BACKUP.$DRIVEBENDER

They all appear to contain the same folder structures, but obviously the folders/files within them could be spread between the disks...  so this could get very messy indeed!

Any tibs for a smooth removal of DB, or is having a spare disk to which I can move stuff, the only really safe option?

Do you have enough space in the pool to remove the 1TB drive from the pool using the DB remove function? If you can remove that drive and keep the pool up it would give you a drive to start the migration out of the pool as OJ88 described earlier. If not and you just remove DB from the PC then all you have is the "messy" option.

Luckily Ive been able to consolidate some disks, and have been able to move stuff off the pool, so I am now left with 1 disk in the pool which is pretty much full.. I "assumed" I could then simply remove this single disk from the pool, essentially meaning that the the DB folders etc would be removed leaving the original data in situ... however I was greeted with a message about there not being enough space in the pool, did I want to force remove...!

I suppose I could just manually relocate my data back to the root, uninstall DB then remove the folders.. but I was hoping that I could simply eject/remove the disk from the pool, and this would be done....

Luckily Ive been able to consolidate some disks, and have been able to move stuff off the pool, so I am now left with 1 disk in the pool which is pretty much full.. I "assumed" I could then simply remove this single disk from the pool, essentially meaning that the the DB folders etc would be removed leaving the original data in situ... however I was greeted with a message about there not being enough space in the pool, did I want to force remove...!

I suppose I could just manually relocate my data back to the root, uninstall DB then remove the folders.. but I was hoping that I could simply eject/remove the disk from the pool, and this would be done....

Because it's now down to the last drive in the pool then I think the only way forward is to uninstall the DB software, add a drive letter back on to your drive (so it displays as normal again) and then cut/paste the directories back into the root of the disk. Although it sounds quite a lot to do, it's actually very easy and only takes a few minutes or so (the files don't actually get moved as it only has to update the FAT entries on where the directories are).

NB. Just a small "gotcha" though - after you've moved your files back into the root directory, you may have difficulty deleting the DB specific folders - all you need to do here is to take ownership of them in the Security tab of the properties of the folder and you will then have permissions to delete them.