Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
CBers

[Solved] - MCM and Media Browser still having problems with Drive Bender

I am still having issues running Media Center Master (MCM) and Media Browser (MB) against the DB pool, so much so, that I have now moved MCM to the same server that DB runs on, so that I have a solid solution, and as I do not have any issues, it would appear to be a network/share problem.

The symptoms are I/O and/or timeouts.

If I run the NEW MEDIA REPORT (a report of new videos added to the collection), MCM has issues with some of the folders that it checks such as:

11:47 :: MCM: Generating a list of new media titles to HTML. This could take a few moments...

11:47 :: MCM: This path doesn't exist or is causing problems:

11:47 :: MCM: \\Videos\TV\Alcatraz

11:47 :: MCM: \\Videos\TV\American Horror Story

11:47 :: MCM: \\Videos\TV\Big Bang Theory, The

11:47 :: MCM: \\Videos\TV\Combat Hospital

11:47 :: MCM: \\Videos\TV\Coupling

11:47 :: [11:47:04.655] DEBUG: -----------------------------------------------------------

[EXCEPTION] System.IO.IOException

[MESSAGE] The directory name is invalid.

And it's not always the same folders, but it always seems to be an "System.IO.IOException" error.

Occasionally, I do get a new media report with content, but that's perhaps once out of 50 attempts.

I have spoken to Pete, the MCM developer, and he says that MCM is having problems accessing the folders etc.

When MCM runs on my main PC and is pointed at a copy of my video collection that is outside of the DB pool, but is still accessed via shares, then MCM does not have any issues.

A similar issues occurs with Media Browser, as it also has timeout issues when the Media Browser Refresh service runs overnight.

Again, if I point MB to the copy of my video collection that is outside of the DB pool, but is still accessed via shares, then MB does not have any issues.

The playing of video files, even 1080p, from the DB pool is not an issue, and they are accessed via network shares.

Something, somewhere though is not quite right with the network sharing of the DB pool.

Could this be looked into please.

TIA.

@CBers, Have you tried this with Smooth Stream both on and off in DB? The reason I ask is with my Squeezebox server that I run on my DB box if I turn on Smooth Stream it substantially elongates the time it takes to scan my music files to populate the music data base.

The New Media Report in MCM failed straight away:

15:47 :: MCM:  Generating a list of new media titles to HTML.  This could take a few moments...
15:47 :: [15:47:44.695] DEBUG:  -----------------------------------------------------------
[EXCEPTION] System.IO.IOException
[MESSAGE]   The directory name is invalid.

A 2nd attempt yielded these results:

15:49 :: MCM:  Generating a list of new media titles to HTML.  This could take a few moments...
15:49 :: MCM:  This path doesn't exist or is causing problems:
15:49 :: MCM:  \\Videos\TV\House of Lies
15:49 :: [15:49:17.682] DEBUG:  -----------------------------------------------------------
[EXCEPTION] System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException
[MESSAGE]   Could not find a part of the path "\\Videos\TV\House of Lies".

15:49 :: MCM:  \\Videos\TV\Sarah Jane Adventures, The
15:49 :: [15:49:19.821] DEBUG:  -----------------------------------------------------------
[MESSAGE]   Could not find a part of the path "\\Videos\TV\Sarah Jane Adventures, The".

15:49 :: MCM:  \\Videos\TV\Star Trek, Enterprise
15:49 :: [15:49:20.218] DEBUG:  -----------------------------------------------------------
[MESSAGE]   Could not find a part of the path "\\Videos\TV\Star Trek, Enterprise".

15:49 :: MCM:  \\Videos\TV\Teen Wolf
15:49 :: [15:49:20.508] DEBUG:  -----------------------------------------------------------
[MESSAGE]   Could not find a part of the path "\\Videos\TV\Teen Wolf".

This produced a report, with the correct contents.

A 3rd attempt produced the same results, but with no errors !!

A 4th attempt failed with a blank report !!

I'm confused.

With this option on, will it affect video playback ??

I believe the intent of Smooth Stream is to pre load up a memory cache with a bunch of the media file so that the media plays from the memory cache rather than being so dependant on physical disk IO to read the media. The IO can run in bursts and things will work fine as long as the IO keeps the memory cache from exhausting.

One other thing you could try playing with on your DB server is in Computer properties -> Advanced system settings -> Advanced tab -> Performance settings button -> Advanced tab and then set Adjust for best performance of Background services.

I will try that, but don't understand why MCM, and MB, have issues when pointed at the DB pool but no issues when pointed at the the non-DB pool disks, when all disks reside on the same server.

It makes no sense to me either. And I'm sorry that I don't run MCM or MB so everything I say is just a guess regarding the problems you're seeing with MCM and MB. Can't say that I've heard of any other products that aren't working right when run on a DB pool. Makes me wonder if MCM / MB have some very short fused timeout code or other non-standard code in their IO handling?

Same here - there is a HUGE delay when trying to access my pool from media browser - the service just hangs and sometimes completely stop working. After the playback of the movie begins (when I manage to get that far) I can pause, resume... everything is fine.

The problem seems to be the access to the pool only.

This might be a shot in the dark but i had some problems which may have the same cause as yours.

You are now opening your files over network, even if on the same PC?

I had some troubles with network shares of DB drives before.

It showed less files than there are realy on my DB drive.

What helped was the way i share my files.

If i use advanced sharing, all files will show up, but if i use normal sharing, about 1 third is missing.

@CBers

I'm just wondering but looking at one of the outputs from your post I noticed something

"15:49 :: MCM:  \\Videos\TV\House of Lies"

I'd have expected this to look like \\servername\Videos\TV\House of Lies

I've not really used MCM but could it not be resolving the path correctly?

probably telling you something you already know, but thought I'd mention it.

I've installed the beta version of media browser from http://code.google.com/p/mediabrowser-rc/downloads/list - rebuild my cache and same error.

So I uninstalled it, installed the old 2.3.2.0 and restored some themes from my backup (windows\ehome\themefile.dll). It is working great now, unfortunately out of date and without a theme that I use because it's an old version (and I fear that my registration for some themes may stop work soon due to this).

With brings a new question for me: if a obscure software stop working with drive bender after an update (as is the case - last week I was using V1, and everything was OK) , can we expect a fix from you guys?

I hope so, and if any solutions or workaround are find please post here :)

@Anthony - There are definitely time-out issues accessing Drive Bender over the network.

I have tried one of the latest Media Browser beta versions which had a work around for missing network resources, and i coped but it has since been pulled from the very latest beta (and potential SP1), so I am back to square one.

This is the BETA thread on the MB community tracker if you wanna take a look.

As Media Browser runs on a HTPC and accesses the media over the network, then this is a major problem.

MCM also has similar issues, but I have a work around for the time being by putting MCM on the same server as Drive Bender so there is not network involved, and that works fine.

As I am not the only person experiencing problems with DB v. MCM/MB, please can this be looked into again.

TIA.

I've installed the beta version of media browser from http://code.google.com/p/mediabrowser-rc/downloads/list - rebuild my cache and same error.

You do realise that's the Media Browser Remote Control link don't you ??

The latest beta, 3d, breaks my refresh again, so I have reverted to 3b.

I have a copy in my DropBox account here if you wanna try it.

You do realise that's the Media Browser Remote Control link don't you ??

The latest beta, 3d, breaks my refresh again, so I have reverted to 3b.

I have a copy in my DropBox account here if you wanna try it.

I did not  :-[

Thanks, just downloaded it and i'll try it tomorrow if I can :)

@Anthony - There are definitely time-out issues accessing Drive Bender over the network.

I have tried one of the latest Media Browser beta versions which had a work around for missing network resources, and i coped but it has since been pulled from the very latest beta (and potential SP1), so I am back to square one.

This is the BETA thread on the MB community tracker if you wanna take a look.

As Media Browser runs on a HTPC and accesses the media over the network, then this is a major problem.

MCM also has similar issues, but I have a work around for the time being by putting MCM on the same server as Drive Bender so there is not network involved, and that works fine.

As I am not the only person experiencing problems with DB v. MCM/MB, please can this be looked into again.

TIA.

Hi Anthony.

Will you be looking at these issues now that v1210 is out please ??

I have raised Support Ticket 509.

TIA.

Looks like I have the same problem updating media from shares on DB with XBMC(Win7x32), XBMC(AppleTV2), PlexServer for Windows(Win7x32) and MediaBrowser 2.5.

Hopefully there is a solution to this problem before the trial expires :-)

/Magnus

Looks like I have the same problem updating media from shares on DB with XBMC(Win7x32), XBMC(AppleTV2), PlexServer for Windows(Win7x32) and MediaBrowser 2.5.

Hopefully there is a solution to this problem before the trial expires :-)

/Magnus

I use XBMC Live(Installed it) on a Acer 3600 Revo, but I always found scrapping my media to slow via xbmc so instead, I use a windows system that has ember media manager installed on it, scrape them via ember and just get xmbc to do a scan for new content at start up.

I have not had a single issue even with the earliest releases and to the most recent versions of drive bender doing it this way.

I have tried MCM and it is pants and it doesn't work against DB shares.