Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
CBers

[Solved] - MCM and Media Browser still having problems with Drive Bender

I think we have found the issue... there is a wacky file renaming bug that has been found (found while testing for this very issues as it turns out).

We are working had to squash this... it will be sorted for v1.2.1.1

It looks like the issue has been sorted, there are a couple of other bug fixes pending... once sorted we will post the new version. At this stage it looks like it will be tomorrow (22/10).

Ok... I know v1.2.1.1 is late. In fact is was ready to go, however testing reviled the file renaming issue was still present. So back to the drawing board we went and we now have v1.2.1.2 which is tested and ready to go  :D

It will go up today, sorry for the delay.

Just out of curiosity, since I'm finishing the copy of all my movies to my new WHS 2011 from the old WHS V1 server and will soon hit this problem since I use media browser on my mac mini - will the update simply be an install on top of itself, nothing special having to happen?  Or will it require more attention?  I wasn't in time for the beta so this is my first version on a clean install with the released product.

Thanks!

I think we have found the issue... there is a wacky file renaming bug that has been found (found while testing for this very issues as it turns out).

We are working had to squash this... it will be sorted for v1.2.1.1

Hi Anthony.

Just wondered if the MCM problem was addressed in the latest releases (v1.2.1.2 & v1.2.1.4) ??

Don't want to revert everything to point at DB if the fix isn't included.

Thanks, CBers.

Still slow to respond for me and my media browser on my HTPC, pulling data from the drive bender on my WHS 2011 server.  One time I'll see cover art, the next it's all gone, and anything I click is a very slow response to change to another movie / show episode. 

Streaming once it's running isn't bad,  unless I'm copying something from another machine to the drive bender folders, then I get some stuttering despite everything being gigabit.

Hi Anthony.

Just wondered if the MCM problem was addressed in the latest releases (v1.2.1.2 & v1.2.1.4) ??

Don't want to revert everything to point at DB if the fix isn't included.

Thanks, CBers.

There was a file renaming issue that was fixed in 1212/1214, I'm hoping that is the source of the issue you are seeing with MCN (we have not tested because we have not been unable to reproduce).

Still broken.

On Media Browser 2.3.2.0 it takes between 2 and 5 seconds to list my library with 247 movies.

Media Browser 2.5.1 OTOH takes 35 seconds and the library index is almost always broken (the movies just keep appearing AFTER this time, there is no apparent sort order).

Do not uprade Media Browser yet :(

You should see how long it takes me to list my 1340 movies!  But even that's not quite as bad as watching it work through my TV shows.  :)

I'm simply watching things via Windows explorer for the time being.  If it's not cleared out soon I'll revert to a previous version, but been too busy to watch much TV lately so while annoying, it's at least not debilitating for me yet...

There was a file renaming issue that was fixed in 1212/1214, I'm hoping that is the source of the issue you are seeing with MCN (we have not tested because we have not been unable to reproduce).

The Media Browser still fails with timeout issues when pointed at DB:

1:43:46.378 PM 29/10/2011 , Info , Unable to access location: \\MEDIASERVER-2\videos\TV\Nikita\Season 1. Waiting 5000ms for it to be available...0ms so far... ,  , 21 , Manual Refresh
1:43:47.378 PM 29/10/2011 , Info , Unable to access location: \\MEDIASERVER-2\videos\TV\Nikita\Season 1. Waiting 5000ms for it to be available...1001ms so far... ,  , 21 , Manual Refresh
1:43:48.378 PM 29/10/2011 , Info , Unable to access location: \\MEDIASERVER-2\videos\TV\Nikita\Season 1. Waiting 5000ms for it to be available...2001ms so far... ,  , 21 , Manual Refresh
1:43:49.378 PM 29/10/2011 , Info , Unable to access location: \\MEDIASERVER-2\videos\TV\Nikita\Season 1. Waiting 5000ms for it to be available...3001ms so far... ,  , 21 , Manual Refresh
1:43:50.378 PM 29/10/2011 , Info , Unable to access location: \\MEDIASERVER-2\videos\TV\Nikita\Season 1. Waiting 5000ms for it to be available...4001ms so far... ,  , 21 , Manual Refresh
1:43:51.378 PM 29/10/2011 , Warning , Timed out attempting to access \\MEDIASERVER-2\videos\TV\Nikita\Season 1 ,  , 21 , Manual Refresh

The refresh service has been working fine the last couple of weeks when not pointed at the DB pool.

I even ran a manual refresh before I changed to DB and it completed OK.

Ran a manual refresh after I changed away from DB and it also completed OK.

Any suggestions ??

Here has been my experience with MB 2.5.1 and DB.

I installed DB and used MB 2.5.1. I couldn't get the MB to refresh at all. I kept getting network timeout errors. Now, I had mapped the drives and could access them just fine through the Network in Windows Explorer. So it wasn't an access issue.

I reverted back to MB 2.3.2 and have zero problems with streaming Blu Rays, MKVs or any other file via MB and DB. Watched the Dark Night again in full DTS and nary a hiccup over a 1GB port. I've even transfered files between the machines and regularly get 70-80MB transfer speeds.

I'm waiting for the next release of MB to see if it solves any of the issues but I don't believe DB to be the problem. Remember that with MB 2.5 they went to storing everything in a SQL Lite db. Something is wonky there.

Hi Skijackz.

Very similar to me then, although I believe DB is the problem and not MB, as I have similar issues with MCM, but when pointed to non-DB drives everything works fine.

I never had any issues streaming from DB pool over a Gb lan, even with DTS.

As I have now pointed everything back to non-DB drives, I have no issues at all.

I need DB to resolve the issues though, as my non-DB drives are filling up and I need the bigger capacity that DB gives.

I believe it is the network share that is the problem, as MCM is now installed on the same server as DB, and is accessing the DB mountpoint and not the network share as it was before.

Obviously this doesn't help MB, even if I use mapped drives on my HTPCs where MB is.

Hopefully Anthony will pull another rabbit from the hat and have a fix soon  ;) .

CBers.

Hi Skijackz,

DB has had this issue for sometime,  and CBers is right it IS DB that is the problem. It seems to show up as a timeout while enumerating the contents of folders via a share. MB, and by MCM,  show folders popping in and out seeminly randomly, or reports being incorrect in MCM.

From work I did prior to this forum , the issue was particularly bad the more drives / shares. It also seemed to be worse IF you turned duplication on for a folder and had drive balancing enabled.

Anthony and the team have hugely improved the stablity and the over all performance , but this is still outstanding... and only seems to show up occasionally. Whats interesting is that if you see certain folders vanish in MB,  try doing a check disk on the underlying drive(s) see what you find ....

Just tried mapping a drive on my HTPC to the DB share and it still fails:

6:13:33.674 PM 31/10/2011 , Error , Error during refresh ( Unhandled exception.  Type=System.IO.IOException Msg=The specified network name is no longer available. [n]  Src=mscorlib Method=WinIOError Line=0 Col=0 [n] StackTrace= [n]    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode,, String maybeFullPath) [n]    at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames(String path,, String userPathOriginal,, String searchPattern,, Boolean includeFiles,, Boolean includeDirs,, SearchOption searchOption) [n]    at System.IO.Directory.GetDirectories(String path,, String searchPattern,, SearchOption searchOption) [n]    at System.IO.Directory.GetDirectories(String path) [n]    at MediaBrowser.LibraryManagement.Helper.IsBluRayFolder(String path,, String[] folders) [n]    at MediaBrowser.Library.EntityDiscovery.EpisodeResolver.ResolveEntity(IMediaLocation location,, BaseItemFactory& factory,, IEnumerable`1& setup) [n]    at MediaBrowser.Library.EntityDiscovery.ChainedEntityResolver.ResolveEntity(IMediaLocation location,, BaseItemFactory& factory,, IEnumerable`1& setup) [n]    at MediaBrowser.Library.Kernel.GetItem[T](IMediaLocation location) [n]    at MediaBrowser.Library.Entities.Folder.GetNonCachedChildren() [n]    at MediaBrowser.Library.Entities.Folder.GetChildren(Boolean allowCache) [n]    at MediaBrowser.Library.Entities.Folder.ValidateChildrenImpl() [n]    at MediaBrowser.Library.Entities.Folder.ValidateChildren() [n]    at MediaBrowserService.MainWindow.<>c__DisplayClass25.<FullRefresh>b__1f(BaseItem item) [n]    at MediaBrowserService.MainWindow.RunActionRecursively(Folder folder,, Action`1 action) ) ,  , 20 , Manual Refresh

Basically, MB is telling me that "The specified network name is no longer available.".

This means that something in DB is causing IO/TIMEOUTS etc.

I have to say my experience is different. I have two machines that I tried to run MB 2.5.x on and connect to DB (both released flavors). MB could not connect to DB. I restored MB to 2.3.2 and I can refresh any time and it makes the connection. I also don't have any problems with MCM connecting to DB from a different computer. Just did it about 10 minutes ago updating a recorded tv program.

Realize I'm not saying you aren't having problems. No idea whether MB 2.5.1 is the issue or not. I know that it won't work for me but 2.3.2 does so I'll stay on that until either DB or MB sort out their differences.

I'm getting lucky now.  After killing all my duplication when it locked everything before, upgrading to 1.2.1.4 DB, the current version of mediabrowser is working fine for me.  I have a 7 drive 21TB array with a little under 1400 movies and about 60 TV shows (not quite 900GB for the TV shows) and things are working well for me.  (Besides duplication only getting about 80% finished on that TV show folder structure and never completing)

Part of my initial problem was that this is a new server for me, replacing one called "Expanse".  New one is "Mothership".  Just changing the paths in the settings for Mediabrowser for the movies, TV shows, and imagebyname didn't seem to cut it - I deleted the cache altogether and rebuilt, and everything is functioning better for me now.

I do still see an occasional delay in things, like it's taking longer for it to see the drivebender array or something, but it's not often, and for me just introduces the occasional 5 second delay between button pushes and action happening on the screen.

I better not look even cross-eyed at my system since it seems I may be the only person with a functional current version of Mediabrowser and Drivebender...

@Cbers,

I did some checking between the mount point and a mount point with shares , often it wont show everything thats in a folder on the mount point , via a share to the same place.

@Anthony,  some kind of caching causing or woes ?

I've done some more work on this , and noticed that there is a lag between files being written to the drive , showing on the mount point (m:) drive in my case , and being available on the share , around 5-15 seconds.

no amount of refreshing would have them ' show up '.

Just so we are clear , this was done using explorer on the server , and explorer on a client windows 7 PC , connected to the same 1GB hub.