Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
CBers

[Solved] - MCM and Media Browser still having problems with Drive Bender

@Cbers,

I see if going on fairly often, and odd , sluggish folder enumerations when using explorer.

I tested the 'other' software thats offering pooling , it didnt have this performance

issue, but lacked the platfom flexabilty we all love in DB.

One for Anthony I think.... What say you Mr. Smith ?

CBers has been sending me logs to look though, however there is nothing in the logs to indicate a problem. All I can do is to start running more test with MB... one way or another I will find the cause of the issue.

@thesmith - this definitely seems to be a UNC issue.

If MCM is runnng on the same server as DB, and is pointed directly at the DB mountpoint, it works fine.

If I use my preferred method of having MCM run on my main PC and connect to the DB pool via UNC, then it fails.

The same applies to Media Browser.

I see other people are reporting similar issues when accessing music etc.

I can confirm this issue too, using MovingPictures (Mediaportal Plugin).

Since install DB on whs2011 im running in trouble to manage my moviecollection.

The Plugin runs on my htpc and has access via UNC to the DB-Pool.

After start, the plugin means many times "...file not found" and delete the databaseentry for that movies. But a rescan find the movies (missed before) again, but same time it means other movies are not found.

This "game" can i play endless.

I had this issue never before using DB.

I hope this issue can be found asap, so i can use my htpc as before.

Thanks for your help!

You know what I've had a similar issue with my iTunes library with media stored on a unc path from my whs2011 box running DB. I have always accessed my llibrary on my server from my client pc in this way on whs v1 but since migrating to 2011+DB I have had all sorts of issues.

The issue occurs when syncing music to my iPhone it says a number of files can't be found or are in an unsupported format. In the end I installed iTunes on the server itself and tried again using the unc path from the same box e.g. \\server\music and it still failed! The only way round it was to point it directly at the drive (D:\) and then I was able to sync music to my phone. I wasn't sure if this was something specific to whs 2011 or DB but after reading this I'm wondering if it's DB related as it sounds very similar as I tried disabling all media streaming options / services but it made no difference.

We originally thought this was being caused by the renaming bug that was present and fixed in 1214... however it is obviously not the case.

We intend to get 1215 out the door and then any further dev will be put on hold until this issue is resolved.

CBers clued me in that my problem may be the same cause as this MCM issue. 

My problem:

I have a music catalogueing playlist program that goes and gets a listing of all the folders/songs in the Music shares and presents them in an application.  I get unpredictable results when refreshing this database.  Sometimes I'll get 300 albums, sometimes 3000, but never the full amount that's in my music share.

I posted elsewhere about this, but just wanted to note that this issue affects more than just MCM.

We originally thought this was being caused by the renaming bug that was present and fixed in 1214... however it is obviously not the case.

We intend to get 1215 out the door and then any further dev will be put on hold until this issue is resolved.

From the outside it appears more to be a case of running short of system resources (handles/buffers/yadayada) and/or non-deterministic garbage collection - especially in the Manager UI.  Since your UI runs with .NET, liberal explicit use of IDispose is called for. :)

Installed v1.2.1.5, but New Media Report in MCM still failing:

10:44 :: MCM:  Generating a list of new media titles to HTML.  This could take a few moments...
10:44 :: MCM:  This path doesn't exist or is causing problems:
10:44 :: MCM:  \\MEDIASERVER-2\Videos\TV\Sanctuary
10:44 :: [10:44:58.364] DEBUG:  -----------------------------------------------------------
[EXCEPTION] System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException
[MESSAGE]   Could not find a part of the path "\\MEDIASERVER-2\Videos\TV\Sanctuary".

10:44 :: MCM:  This path doesn't exist or is causing problems:
10:44 :: MCM:  \\MEDIASERVER-2\Videos\TV\Terra Nova
10:44 :: [10:44:59.680] DEBUG:  -----------------------------------------------------------
[MESSAGE]   Could not find a part of the path "\\MEDIASERVER-2\Videos\TV\Terra Nova".

10:45 :: MCM:  This path doesn't exist or is causing problems:
10:45 :: MCM:  \\MEDIASERVER-2\Videos\TV\UFO
10:45 :: [10:45:01.672] DEBUG:  -----------------------------------------------------------
[MESSAGE]   Could not find a part of the path "\\MEDIASERVER-2\Videos\TV\UFO".

10:45 :: [10:45:01.819] DEBUG:  -----------------------------------------------------------
[EXCEPTION] System.IO.IOException
[MESSAGE]   The directory name is invalid.

Should v1.2.1.5 have fixed anything for this type of issue ??

A bit of a long shot....

A guy I work with had issues with media browser connecting to a NAS. He doesn't use DB, but he had similar symptoms.

He found the following post, and though it was not quite the same as his issue, he looked to see if he had the hidden network adaptors, he did , he removed them and his problems were solved? so he claims.

I don?t use Media Browser or MCM so I don?t know if the problem exists for me.

Thought I?d mention it.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/windows-7-system-error-1231-network-location/07c46785-cd1b-42c9-aa94-0adf1f4e2516

http://blog.brimur.com/?p=836

@Case - thanks for the post, but I do not have the issue if I UNC connect to non-DB drives on the same server as the DB pool, so I don't think that would make any difference in my scenario.

if i understand thesmith correctly, this will be fixed after 1.2.1.5, see this Post: http://forum.drivebender.com/index.php?topic=22.msg1179#msg1179

I'm still waiting also for a fix  ;)

There seem to be a lot of DB users who are waiting/hoping for a cause and a resolution.  Myself included.  :(

For me, any media program that runs a "directory crawl" (looking for folders, files and metadata) seems to encounter this issue.  Zune, iTunes, Media Player, Media Center, Media Browser, Meta Browser, etc..  Every one of them will need to constantly and frequently scan the server due to losing/gaining folders and content.

It's almost as if, when a scan is being performed (in order to populate a content database on a client PC of the server), either the directory structures are not being reported back in a timely manner or that the WHS 2011 with DB isn't "quite sure" of the directory structure and contents.  Perhaps related to file replication/duplication?

I must be the only person who doesn't experience this on my WHS 2011 server and mediabrowser on my mac mini windows 7 PC that runs my TV. 

What I *DO* get however is slow enumeration, both from media browser as well as just from explorer or finder on my macbook pro, where it just takes another 5 to 10 seconds to enumerate and display the contents of my folders on the pool.  All things are connected via gigabit.

But I'm very glad my media all shows up consistently at least...  I've never had it NOT show everything, just takes a little longer for me compared to my 2003 based WHS...

I can confirm this issue too, using MovingPictures (Mediaportal Plugin).

Agh ... noooo! I had to re-install my server over the weekend from scratch. Was running 1.2.1.4 without any of these issues but when I've come to check through some movies tonight I've realised I've had a load missing. After checking it out and going back in to the MovingPictures plugin config, I'm getting exactly the same type of thing happening - I.E. one minute a have a \\films\a\avatar directory .... the next minute I don't ..... then I do again!

I know you guys are working on this so won't say any more ... other than I am *really* looking forward to a fix!

Oh well, guess I'm no longer the only one who was not losing visibility to my data.  aFter upgrading this morning to 1.2.1.5, I'm also now in the majority, only seeing a little bit of my TV shows.  Oddly enough, my movie listing, just under 1,400, is fine.  But I'm not doing duplication there at all, so I don't know if that's part of the problem or not since the only thing I'm having problems seeing is the stuff I had set for duplication.  Of course, even after a week or two, the duplication never finished and just hung anyway, so I may disable it again, and see what happens to my view.  But count me with the rest now who can't see everything from Media Browser...

Just confirming my set up:

Windows 2008 R2 with SP1

Framework 2, 3.5 & 4

DB 1.2.1.5 (I upgraded from 1.2.1.4 last night but still have same problem)

NB. Duplication is on for some folders but not the ones I'm having issues parsing

Other software constantly running: SickBeard, SABnzbd, AirVideo, PS3 Media Server, SugarySync, DropBox, LogMeIn, EveMon, FileZilla Server

Client is a 32bit Windows 7 box with pretty much just StreamedMP set up (MediaPortal/MovingPictures/TVSeries) using SAF codecs.

Most media apps etc, hit bumps because out the blue during an enumeration DB will declare a path is not available.

This shows up in the logs of MediaBrowser and MCM to the level that MB will not complete a refresh.

This 'bug' has been around since the betas in one shape or form, i know I have reported it and CBERS has spend hours and hours trying to make it go away.

The fact that its still with us .. is a concern.

I can understand that this type of problem is very difficult to track down .... especially when suddenly everythign starts working again ok, I.E. what's just happened to me !

*Nothing* has changed other than a reboot of the server and a reboot of the client .... but suddenly MovingPictures plugin is now showing all the movies correctly. I've then added some more and it's picked them up without issue. It's been that way since the reboot last night with no errors since.

I can't see any memory leaks happening against the DriveBender process so presume it's not that.

Damn weird problem :(

Hi All... Just to keep you up to date. We are still working on this issue. It is our highest priority and all other work has been put on hold. There is a v1.2.1.6, this does NOT specifically address this issue... thought I would get that in before it is asked  ;)

One request, can I get an idea of the number of drives in everyone pool?

I've got 8 drives in my pool if you count the fact that I started it with the system folders on D partition.  that one is a 500GB drive, the other 7 are all 3 TB drives (bought about a week before the prices went sky-high, fortunately!)