Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
CBers

[Solved] - MCM and Media Browser still having problems with Drive Bender

Folks,

I have done some testing around access based enumeration on windows home server. Turning this off improved the folder enumeration performance quite a bit.

Not sure how this will work out for XP and windows 7 based set ups tho...

Give it a go..

access based enumeration

What do you mean by this ??

I have PM'd you.

Server 2008 supports a a feature that prevents you seeing anything in a directory that you dont have permissions

for.

This article explains it better than i could here I suspect ..

http://blogs.technet.com/themes/blogs/generic/post.aspx?WeblogApp=hugofe&y=2010&m=06&d=21&WeblogPostName=windows-2008-access-based-enumeration-abe&GroupKeys=

Thanks Da1ek - I had a Google on it myself  :D

That's another reason why I believe it is DB, as both my DB and non-DB drives have the same access, basically full access to everyone on the network, so enumeration should be the same.

I have noticed over the last few days, that Windows Explorer is slow to show folders/files on the DB mountpoint (X: in my case).

Does anyone has a single drive DB pool out there without issues  ??

Just wondering, as Da1ek suggests, that it is taking DB a longer time than it should to cobble together the list of folders/files as they are spread over multiple disks, although I thought that folders and contents were always balanced on the same physical disk.

Could the speed/transfer rates of the disks cause this problem ??

I have 3 x 2Tb SATA II (3Gbps) drives that spin at 54000RPM, so is this a problem ??

Does anyone else have SATA III  (6 Gbps) drives ?? Is DB OK with enumeration on these drives ??

All thoughts/suggestions welcome, as I know Division-M are scratching their collective heads over this issue, although they may have seen something in testing, but more on that when they've done some more testing.

I have noticed over the last few days, that Windows Explorer is slow to show folders/files on the DB mountpoint (X: in my case).

Might not be related...

I had the same thing over the last few days, really slow to access anything and my XBMC was running slow - after a restart it would work for about 5 minutes and then slow again. I found out my USB drive was causing the issue, removed and everything was ok again, plugged in and slooooooow! Tried the USB in another PC and same thing - will try on another USB adapter to see if I can recover the drive. DB said the drive was healthy....

Probably unrelated but you never know!

No USB drives here, all internal.

Still might be an internal drive having issues? You could test by browsing each drive separately and see if one is slow to browse. That's how I found the drive - soon as removed the pool was much quicker. Depends how slow browsing your X drive is... DB said all my drives were healthy... but the USB was having issues.

When I say slow... I mean grinding to a halt... if not then your fine. :)

It's not a internal disk failure - the same drivers and contents worked perfect until the exact day I migrated from Home Server V1 to the Drive Bender solution.

Anyway, I too use HDD Sentinel, all drivers are 100%.

I never said the MCM/MB slowness was because of a failed disk, CBers mentioned slow browsing through normal windows explorer and I just responded with something similar that happened to me the other day. :)

CBers - that's good, When I get a chance I will install Media Browser and test to see if I get the same issues, as my XBMC and MCM appear to be ok since I messed about...

CBers - that's good, When I get a chance I will install Media Browser and test to see if I get the same issues, as my XBMC and MCM appear to be ok since I messed about...

Do you have MCM on the same PC as DB ??

If so, then MCM should work fine, mine does, but it's via UNC from my main PC it has issues.

MB plays movies etc. fine via UNC, it's just the REFRESH of the cache that fails.

Do you have MCM on the same PC as DB ??

If so, then MCM should work fine, mine does, but it's via UNC from my main PC it has issues.

MB plays movies etc. fine via UNC, it's just the REFRESH of the cache that fails.

I do, I'll test from my laptop in that case over a few days (easier for me to test than mess with HTPC :D)..

I might need your help with MB and a refresh then... no idea how it works! I'll give you a PM If I get stuck. :)

There is a v1.2.1.6, this does NOT specifically address this issue... thought I would get that in before it is asked  ;)

Tried v1.2.1.6 but MB Refresh still fails with time out issues, and MCM still has IO errors.

Hmmm - problem occurred again - half my films gone missing :(

I think we're gonna have to put up with this for a while longer.

Do you have the capacity to copy your collection to non-DB drives like I have done ??

Hmmm - problem occurred again - half my films gone missing :(

I think we're gonna have to put up with this for a while longer.

Do you have the capacity to copy your collection to non-DB drives like I have done ??

Unfortunately not :(  I do have space for another drive though so could lash out for another 2Tb drive ... but didn't really want to spend any more money at the min! .....

I'll give everything a reboot tonight and see if it gets back in line! (Ok, ok, I know I'm clutching at straws ;))

Ok - it seems the issue has spread to the TVSeries part of MediaPortal instead now too :(

Time to start slowly moving stuff off DB onto normal disks and un-install  :-\

I know you guys are working on fixing it but this is the server hosting all media to the rest of the house and it's starting to really annoy everyone ..... I need a quiet life for a while ;)

btw - just read my previous post (when I was getting fed up! :) )

I didn't mean that I'm giving up with DB - just that I'll have to give it a rest until the problem is sorted.

Just waiting for files to slowly trawl off my one disk so I can use it as a stand-alone .....