Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
CBers

[Solved] - MCM and Media Browser still having problems with Drive Bender

OK - that's weird - I didn't have any files duplicated so as i was checking things out this morning I decided to turn on duplication for my music folder. About an hour and half later I have an error in the system log messages about a transaction executing for over 36 hours followed immediately by an Action Duplicated Notificate message. I've now had the two messages again!

Something very odd going on with my pool I think ....

Ok - version checked - all 1.2.2.0 seems fine

So added a new share to the server with a couple of films in and then added the UNC share to MovingPictures - worked fine!

So then decided "what the hell" and deleted my current share from MovingPictures again and added back in the original UNC share ..... seems to be working fine !!!

Odd day .. really odd day .... :(

[edit: yes - import finished without s single error!]

A follow-up for everybody. I wasn't able to get MediaBrowser 2.5.1 to refresh using 1.2.1.6. Network error.

Installed DB 1.2.2.0 and upgraded MB 2.3.5 to MB 2.5.1 and it refreshed without a problem. I tried on two separate computers and everything worked great.

Thanks to DB for getting a fix for this.

Question for CBers - where are you seeing the advanced options to view what is going on in DB? I'd like to see what is happening with DB when I refresh. Or are you just looking at the log files after it completes?

Brad

EDIT: My bad. Should have read the post closer. Thanks for pointing that feature out. It is nice to see everything processing.

Ok - version checked - all 1.2.2.0 seems fine

So added a new share to the server with a couple of films in and then added the UNC share to MovingPictures - worked fine!

So then decided "what the hell" and deleted my current share from MovingPictures again and added back in the original UNC share ..... seems to be working fine !!!

Odd day .. really odd day .... :(

[edit: yes - import finished without s single error!]

So are you working OK now ??

A follow-up for everybody. I wasn't able to get MediaBrowser 2.5.1 to refresh using 1.2.1.6. Network error.

Installed DB 1.2.2.0 and upgraded MB 2.3.5 to MB 2.5.1 and it refreshed without a problem. I tried on two separate computers and everything worked great.

Same problems I had - Glad it's working again.

Question for CBers - where are you seeing the advanced options to view what is going on in DB? I'd like to see what is happening with DB when I refresh. Or are you just looking at the log files after it completes?

Brad

EDIT: My bad. Should have read the post closer. Thanks for pointing that feature out. It is nice to see everything processing.

I like the new advanced option - very, very useful  ;D

OK - that's weird - I didn't have any files duplicated so as i was checking things out this morning I decided to turn on duplication for my music folder. About an hour and half later I have an error in the system log messages about a transaction executing for over 36 hours followed immediately by an Action Duplicated Notificate message. I've now had the two messages again!

Something very odd going on with my pool I think ....

Well that embarrassing...  :-[

DB performs an internal check of the current executing transaction... if a transaction's execution time exceeds 36 hours, an error is raised. However someone here (that would be me), changed it to 2 minutes for testing purposed, hence the error you are seeing. FYI - It is just an error message an nothing more. I am uploading 1.2.2.1 now.

However someone here (that would be me), changed it to 2 minutes for testing purposed, hence the error you are seeing. FYI - It is just an error message an nothing more. I am uploading 1.2.2.1 now.

Been there - done that - had to buy a round of drinks at the pub for the rest of the dev team ;)

Glad it was an easy one to find :)

So are you working OK now ??

Had a long bash last night - couldn't get it to fail again at all. No idea what caused the initial problems with UNC but I don't think I care - as far as I can see everything is now working fine!

Thanks Anthony & team - I'm glad this bug seems to be behind you now, if was a difficult one to track down! :D

DB performs an internal check of the current executing transaction... if a transaction's execution time exceeds 36 hours, an error is raised. However someone here (that would be me), changed it to 2 minutes for testing purposed, hence the error you are seeing. FYI - It is just an error message an nothing more. I am uploading 1.2.2.1 now.

Release v1.2.2.1 release (2011-12-02)

- Bug fix: The transaction execution monitor was raising an error on any transaction exceeding 2 minutes, when it should only raise an error when it exceeds 36 hours.

36 hours ?? Is that correct ??

Seems an awfully long time for a single transaction to run for.

I think that I have thrown every metadata collecting, folder crawling, collection building software I have at this.

Media Browser Service:          Check

Media Browser Manual:          Check

Media Browser Music Plugin:  Check

Meta Browser:                        Check

Windows Media Center:        Check

Windows Media Player:          Check

Zune:                                    Check

iTunes:                                  Check

I think that we have a winner.

Just saw the update, ran it on my Atom based 2011 WHS, and is night and day from the client end.  Everything is there, everything is responsive, and nothing disappears when I end a movie and go "back" to the main list in Media Browser.  All my TV shows are shown again, consistent correct numbers, and changing views, selecting items, going back to the main thumbnail listing of all 1418 movies is instantaneous.  No more refresh failed errors.

Outstanding job tracking this one down and resolving it - thank you very much! 

Release v1.2.2.1 release (2011-12-02)

- Bug fix: The transaction execution monitor was raising an error on any transaction exceeding 2 minutes, when it should only raise an error when it exceeds 36 hours.

36 hours ?? Is that correct ??

Seems an awfully long time for a single transaction to run for.

Yes... this is in place just as a precaution and is more of an internal diagnostic check, no transaction should run this long (and none ever have as far as I know).

Anyone using Media Browser (v2.5.1 R) having issues with the EHS updating slowly, or not at all ??

I think this is MB rather than DB, but thought I'd ask.

I'm experiencing trouble with version v1.2.2.2 and my Sonos as well as with my Netgear media player.

My server is running on Windows 7 64-bit, I got 5 x 2 TB in one pool mounted as drive D: and manually set shares for the whole pool drive and certain folders.

Quite often my Sonos system informs me that the shared folder are not available, the same with the Netgear. If I restart the server it works again for some time. If Sonos or Netgear prompt this error I can still access the folders from my PC where I have connected the pool as network drive. First I thought this was an issue with naming but after changing from acessing shares via name to IP this still occurs.

I think it can't be a networking issue, I realized that it a was no problem to access a shared folder on a non-pooled drive.

If I activate that "smooth stream" thing (not sure about the right naming, I'm not at home at the moment) the access via Sonos or Netgear is lost almost instant until I turn it of.

To be honest I don't know what else to try but to uninstall DB and test it with 5 separate drives. I had that issue with my old hardware and DB and with new hardware it's still there so I believe it has something to do with DB.

Edit: I have updated to Beta 1.2.3.5 last night after above problems occured once more. Maybe that will help...

@Whitesnake1977

When Sonos or netgear tell you your shared folder is not available, what state is DB in ??

Is the DriveBenderService.exe process running, and/or have you lost the mointpoint (D:) ??

If so, then I would suggest that you raise a Support Ticket, supply the latest .sil file and any .elf file created at the same time as the problem.

To be honest: I don't know it for sure at the moment.  I think there was no special entry in the system log.

But I'll check that next time to be sure.

Yesterday, after restarting the server, the system log showed an entry concerning mount point and that it was trying to re-set it. But anyway the server showed D:\ as drive and I could access it from the server and also via Sonos.

Maybe I'll see something later when the server wakes from standby.

Ok, I did some tests...

The server was awake when I returned home and I was able to play music from it on my Sonos and also was able to play some video clips on my Netgear.

Next thing: I copied an larger ISO file from my pc to the server, all of a sudden the shares were gone. Sonos tells me that the files are not available, the Netgear's network speedtest tells me that the shares are not available.

Turned on the DB logging in debug mode and tried once more to open a file on the Sonos or on the Netgear. The annoying thing is that there are no log entries while I'm trying this.  :o When I browsed a folder on the pool from my PC (for example images) the log file quickly was filled with lots of lines but not for my tries with Sonos. I expected something like "You tried to open File X but there was mistake". But nothing like that or anything else.

All of a sudden the share was back there and I was able to play something on the Sonos and also the Netgear was succhesfully testing network speed.

From my point of view I can provoke loss of the share for the Sonos or Netgear by copying a large file onto the pool, allthough I can still access via my PC and I also noticed it when I activated "Enable smooth stream".

Could my network shares cause a problem? I have set the whole pool as shared drive and have mounted it as drive M: on my PC. Furthermore I have set sub-folders as shares and have entered thes for example in the Sonos as I don't want to set the whole pool as share within the Sonos.

At the moment my only idea is to add another share outside the pool and test if ut causes trouble.

I run W7 x64, with a mountpoint in DB of X:, which is then shared out via Windows.

I then have several folders under X: which are also shared out, so I don't think you've done anything wrong.

You could have a network issue between your server and the PC, or you could have a failing disk ??

Have you tried using UNC rather than mapping a drive ??

Or it might be time for a Support Ticket.

Also, can you complete your forum signature please.

Now I'm really confused...

I have added another shared on the servers disk C: which is outside the pool and put a file there. I added it in Sonos and was able to play it there, the shares on the DB pool still not available. That made me think that DB could be the reason.

As mentioned before I was able to provoke loss of the share by copying data to the DB pool. That was what I did... Guess what... All of a sudden I was not able to browse the other share which is not part of the pool. :o Fetched my notebook and added a share there. No problem playing from there, even if I'm copying data via WLAN to the notebook at the same time.

Unfortunately I'm at the very beginning right now. Obviously it is a problem that has nothing to do with Drivebender.

I have changed the server hardware recently as I experienced that problems before, I have changed the network card already. Don't know what else I already tried.

Sorry for posting that quick once more...

I have restarted the server. After restarting I have access to the shares.

In the DB log I see

[Mount D:\] - Mount point unmounting, will attempt to remount...

[Mount D:\] - Unable to complete initialazation, going to retry in a few secs...

But I can play from the Sonos meanwhile...

But as soon as I was able to browse the share from my PC and started to copy something on the pool the shares on the pool and the one outside the pool are immediately not available any longer. As usually I can access via my PC without any problem.

What the hell is wrong...

I'm sorry, I don't believe that it has something to do with Drive Bender at the moment. Reading that topic here made me thinks so, but obviously I have another problem.

By the way: If I manage to have a reliable server with DB running, I surely will update my signature. 8) Right now I'm thinking of buying a ready NAS from Synology or Qnap. To be honest I don't want to waste my time with such stupid problems. I just want to have press "Play" on the Sonos/Netgear and listen to music or watch a movie...