Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
kcjack

Can I merge a drive from W7 onto Drive Bender whs 2011

I am trying to understand something. I have W7 drives on a htpc that I would love to just install under the drive pool on my WHS 2011 server.

Can I do this and would the folders from the W7 Machine then become part of my server folders or would they become folders not under server folders thus not being accessed properly.

I am probably a little lost and any ideas would help me on this my first post in this forum.

KCJACK

I think what you'll need to do is to create empty target folders on your server in the DB pool ie;

<DB Pool drive>:\ServerFolders\<your folder(s)>

and then copy the data into these folders from your Win7 drive(s). Once you've got the data in your DB pool you can then format the Win7 drive(s) and add the Win7 drive(s) to your DB Pool.

...I have W7 drives on a htpc that I would love to just install under the drive pool on my WHS 2011 server....

I'm thinking you could read your question two ways?

1) The W7 drives stop in your HTPC and you want to extend the Pool already on your WHS 2011 server across the network onto your HTPC:

No, this won't work - the drives you add into a pool must be local to wherever the service is running, I.E. in this case your WHS 2011 Server

2) You want to move the W7 drives from your HTPC and add them in to your WHS 2011 server pool:

Yes, this is very easy :)  Simply attach the drives to your server and make sure they are visible in disk manager or Windows Explorer. For each of the new drives added, simply choose the "Merge a drive and it's data into the pool" option in Drive Nodes in the DB Manager.