Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
MikhailCompo

Are you sure you want to move this file without its properties?

When moving data from one local drive to a local mount point, I often receive this message, it can be for any file type.  One this occasion its an ISO file - what file properties can there be in an ISO file that are non standard and are being stripped out during the file operation?

Similar problem here copying mp3 files.

I also noticed that if I copy a folder containing album art files with atributes HSA (hidden system archive) they end up with only the A (archive) attribute set on the pooled drive. Suddendly all the hidden album art files become visible on the pooled drive!! This seems to be only if I copy a folder containing the HSA files, when copying an individual HSA file to the pool it initially displays as A then when explorer is refreshed it shows as HSA.

I also noticed that if I copy a folder containing album art files with atributes HSA (hidden system archive) they end up with only the A (archive) attribute set on the pooled drive. Suddendly all the hidden album art files become visible on the pooled drive!! This seems to be only if I copy a folder containing the HSA files, when copying an individual HSA file to the pool it initially displays as A then when explorer is refreshed it shows as HSA.

This sound like a bug to me; the same problems exists for me, all the desktop.ini files are not hidden, all the thumbs.db files - i CANNOT move my MP3 library until this is fixed - this is the whole reason I abandoned my old Thecus NAS almost entirely because of album art files being shown......

I often received this msg as well moving a TB of data for an old WHS v1 drive to a WHS 2011 DB pool.  Didn't realize the impact until I read this thread.  I agree, this is almost a show stopper bug, IMO  I don't know why I didn't run into this with the beta versions of DB.  In beta I moved over 2TB of music to my test WHS 2011 server with beta DB and never once saw this message and I haven't had any issues with the hidden album art showing in the music folders.

@MikhailCompo, Are you WHS2011? If so, are you aware that if you have hi-res album art in your music folders that WHS by default will end up replacing the Folder.jpg files with 200x200 album art images and has also been known to modify / add tags in mp3 files? If you don't want this to happen this article @ WeGotServed has instructions for how to shut this "feature" of WHS2011 off;

http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/08/05/stop-windows-home-server-2011-overwriting-album-art-mp3-tags/

Sooo... was this ever fixed?

I'm getting the same behaviour from 1707 JPGs (that have been added to my WHS v1 server with no problem, straight from an Eye-Fi card) when copying them to a DB pool.

Microsoft's useless "Community" forum does not say what properties will not be copied, or why. It just says that the solution is to format the target media as NTFS. Isn't Drive Bender already NTFS? In any case, I'm not going to re-format 5 TB of media.

So what's Drive Bender's problem?

@Karyudo I believe the properties you are refering to when a file is copied to your pool are the things like Archive, Hidden, System, Read only, etc. I do not think it is refering to the metadata within the file. The Archive, read only, etc properties are a part of the directory entry, not the file. Metadata is actually inside the file and for that to be dropped or altered the copying program would have to have complete knowledge of the file type.

The other problem this thread is talking about is a WHS 2011 issue where it does mess with metadata in MP3 files and also adds (or replaces if you already have Folder.jpg album art). This problem is strictly a MS thing with WHS 2011 and MP3 and has nothing to do with DriveBender. As far as I know there is nothing in WHS 2011 that messes with metadata in normal JPG picture type files.

I believe the properties you are referring to when a file is copied to your pool are the things like Archive, Hidden, System, Read only, etc. I do not think it is referring to the metadata within the file.

Well, that's a relief! I thought so myself, but Windows is so annoyingly vague that it's hard to tell. It didn't make sense that somehow something in the file couldn't be copied, but I also couldn't easily find out what it was that wasn't being copied. And even if I assumed it was something like hidden Windows metadata, I don't really know what-all Microsoft stores for images, say.

The only odd part for me is that Microsoft's generally hopeless "Community" has experts that suggest the solution is to make sure that the target media is formatted NTFS, and end users that suggest that this is the case (in that it worked for their situations). I know DB is also NTFS at its core, so that makes me wonder why this message would appear at all. If it's "Archive, Hidden, System, Read only, etc." stuff that isn't being copied, why not? It's perhaps not critical that it be copied, but why is it even an issue? Does DB not present itself to Windows as an NTFS volume, for example?

Could this be resolved by using a third-party file handler like Teracopy instead of Windows Explorer to do the copying, I wonder?

(Also: thanks for pointing out the MP3 issue with WHS 2011 -- I'll have to check more thoroughly, but I don't think I've had WHS retool any of my music metadata. And it's good to have you confirm WHS isn't known to mess with JPG metadata.)

Not knowing anything about Eye-fi, but assuming that it's either FAT32 or exFAT format, is it possible that there's some type file attribute in those directory structures that NTFS doesn't have? If that were the case you would probably get a warning that "some properties" would not copy. This is just speculation.

Looks like the 1707 JPGs were ones I uploaded to Dropbox, then copied from my Dropbox folder back to some other folder under my WHS v1 "Photos" folder. So it could be a Dropbox thing that's causing the weirdness.

In any case, I ignored the warning from Windows, copied all the files, and everything looks fine to me.