Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
pettakos

[Resolved] DB Pool keeps Crashing

After removing a hard drive (640GB) from the pool 4 days ago, all went smoothly, but problems started to appear.

Every hour or so, and while DB had a large number of transactions and tasks to accomplish, the pool became unavailable.

It keeps on doing this for the last three days or so, and it remedies itself when I reboot the server.

I shut the server down yesterday, I went away, I came back today, started it up, and after 5 minutes or so, with no tasks running, the DB pool became unavailable. Rebooted the server once again, and it shows a sign under the server folders in the pool duplication tree, as if there is  another subdirectory. When clicking on it, it opens continuously another subdirectory with the same mark, but empty.

What am I supposed to do? Is it possible that the pool has been corrupted. Is it wise to rebuild the pool?

Am I losing any data?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Same thing happens to me but I wouldn?t say that it is doing any heavy work loads... It is just that the pool disappears. There is the drive letter showing in My computer but there is no blue bar showing the usage. You can?t access any files from the pool. All you can do is reboot the server.

I have also noted that streaming videos or pictures to my W7 media centre is a bit choppy sometimes. I am not that happy with the stability of DB but alas I have already paid for it :(

There was a time that that sort of thing happened on my system - but I found I could restart the DriveBender services and everything was OK then for a while.  Never did figure out why it was happening, but I did replace a couple of drives , and between drives and software updates, one day it stopped being a problem, although i could not say just why since if you change two things you cannot know which was the cause of the trouble or if it was synergy between both.

On my first installation of WHS 2011 it didn?t seem to have this problem but I had to reinstall it and after readding the pool this problem started. It happened again today and for no apparent reason, but I can tell you that it is VERY annoying. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a drive pool.

I have the same problem, the entire pool crashes when the harddrives have lots of access and i have to restart it

EDIT: I have upgraded to the latest version i will check if it has solved my problems

Same thing happens to me but I wouldn?t say that it is doing any heavy work loads... It is just that the pool disappears. There is the drive letter showing in My computer but there is no blue bar showing the usage. You can?t access any files from the pool. All you can do is reboot the server.

I have also noted that streaming videos or pictures to my W7 media centre is a bit choppy sometimes. I am not that happy with the stability of DB but alas I have already paid for it :(

Having same problem. submitted a support ticket

Same issue here. Doesn't have to be high load, I just copied about 5GB of data to a duplicated pool, and it freezes the transfer, then things start to crash, explorer crashes and then I have to reboot.  Like others have said, you still have the drive letter in explorer but no file usage/size bar with it.  The second mount point (unduplicated) seems to work still.  If i reboot through Windows I get the logoff process then it hangs on a screen with the text "Please wait for the System Event Notification Service" then i have to do a hard reboot.

I'm on Server 2012 Essentials

likewise, seem to be having an identical problem. i have 2x 3tb drive in a pool with no duplication and seems to always be available which i store my films in. however i have another pool with 2x 2tb drives which have duplication running and all my music and photos stored but it keeps hanging or crashing, i.e. i get the drive letter show up but no blue next to it or any info, if i click on it explorer hangs and crashes, if i try to reboot it just hangs at the logging off stage and i have to hard restart. sometimes appears when i reboot but getting worse and not been able to access photos or music for over a week now. applied latest version yesterday in hope that would resolve but just the same today. if i dont try accessing the drive the dashboard shows the drives as healthy and looks like data is there. getting worried that data lost as saw only a few files in the dashboard earlier but after reboot looked like normally does. getting very frustrated as these are the most important files i have and i also use to stream music around house and garden via itunes running on server but obviously no longer working as cant read the drive... hope someone can get to the bottom of this and fix. am wondering if to do with duplication. may try a separate drive and use sync back to another drive as getting nervous now and dont need space from pooling like i do with my movies... btw im using whs2011.

cheers mike