Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
mavtak

Drive Pool unresponsive

I am also doing a large (6ish TB) transfer from my old Windows Home Server to a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine.

My mounted drive becomes unresponsive, like a hard drive that has serious read errors.  (The free space bar no longer shows in the Computer view in Explorer.)  I can still browse the folder structure through the File Duplication menu, but I can't access any of the files.

I seem to have this problem when transferring super large files, and also when deleting many (a couple thousand) nested folders recursively.  I'm not sure why large files would be an issue, but it makes sense that deleting a bunch of folders quickly could cause problems.  Earlier in my migration I transferred thousands of 700ish MB files just fine.

I'm pointing users' folders to the pooled drive, so when the drive becomes unresponsive, Windows gets super unhappy.  I'd really like to get this fixed.

(This is possibly a similar issue to http://forum.drivebender.com/index.php?topic=780.0)

Here's my info:

Drive Bender v1.2.2.2

low-ish power, custom-built machine with a Core i3 processor.

Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit)

8Gb RAM

4 x 1Tb + 3Tb drive, connected with two Sans Digital TowerRAID drive enclosures.

I too have this problem all too often. When I'm doing a bunch of file reads or writes to the pool it "crashes" and is inaccessible. Highly annoying. Also running 1.2.2.2 but on WHS 2011.

I've been running an intensive file copy of gigabyte-size files totalling 3TB, and so far it's doing perfectly.  Before the transfer I added a 3TB drive to the pool, so I saw the 3TB drive fill up until it's free space was equal to the other drives, and now Drive Bender is continuing it's algorithm (as I have surmised it) to put a new file on the drive with the most free space.  Super cool!

Anyway, it's  been working all day, but what's the cause of the problem?

@mavtak, Wonder if one of the 1TB drives is flaky? I've not copied any super large files, but I did copy ~13,000 mp3's (average size of about 5 MB each) in a file structure of "drive\mp3music\artist\album" for a total of ~1,200 folders with no trouble.

I don't suspect that one of the drives is malfunctioning, since I had no problems with Windows Home Server.  The nested folder structure that I'm describing is the .metadata folder of an Eclipse workspace.  I deleted them from one computer, and then synced the result to the drive pool using SyncToy, which deleted each folder (300 per workspace at maybe 5 workspaces) individually.

I've been doing more things, and the problem is definitely in the rapid deletion of folders.  I'm not sure if it's relevant that the folders are nested, but I could see a strong case for that being important.  I ran another (partial) sync of a my documents folder, which attempted to propagate the deletion of hundreds of nearly empty nested folders, and the process only got do a few hundred.  I pressed cancel, and came back later (an hour-ish), and everything was back to normal.

However, on the off-chance... what's some good S.M.A.R.T. related software?  Could Drive Bender have these kinds of diagnostics built in?

--------- [That doesn't seem to be compatible with Windows Server 2008 R2.]------------------

Well have been running windows 2008 R2 with SP1 and have never had any problems. Just did the up to latest version seem to be working fine.

Hey I did a search for Sans Digital on here and this thread popped up.

I wanted to share an important fix for San Digital multi-bay eSata enclosure users!

Both my San Digital TR5M-B and TR5M-PB 5-bay eSata enclosures would randomly DROP out of Windows when I was moving a lot of files around.  The only way to get them back was to reboot the server.  (power cycling the enclosure didn't fix it)  Well it turns out there is a simple fix all along.  I wish I would have researched this more 12 months ago!

http://www.sansdigital.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=190&func=view&catid=10&id=4250#4296

Problem / question: Currently the disk system is set up as just single pass through disks. Anytime there is extremely heavy I/O all the disks drop out and the controller cannot see them anymore. Restarting the TowerRAID system and unplugging the cables does not help, only a reboot of the server. This is getting frustrating as when all the drives were connected to a 3ware 9550sx-12 they never had an issue. Is there another HBA I can try to solve this issue? I do not want to use raid, just single disk pass through.

SOLVED

Turn off "Link State Power Management" under PCI Express in the power options menu.