Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
dcdyd

Drive removed from the pool but contents remained - need help ASAP

I did send this to Drive Bender support also. But I would also like to get idea from the community and would like to get it resolved as quick as possible if someone has good idea.

I tried to remove a 2TB HDD from a pool with 3 HDDs. The removal process ended with error which says some duplicated files were missing. I restarted the server and then notice that the pool now only has two HDDs. I also noticed that the removed HSS contains half od the original contents which means that the removal process was not sucessful. I then tried to repair the pool hoping that the removed HDD can be recognised again by the pool. But that didn't do anything good. The repair completed sucessful and the pool still only has two HDDs.

So what I am wondering is how I deal with the original contents left over on the HDD which is removed. I checked the contents between the pool and the removed HDD. SOme files exist on both the pool and the removed HDD and some files only existed on the removed HDD.

I haven't done anythng to the removed HDD. WHat I can do to get the contents from the removed HDD to the pool without taking too much time?

Have you verified that the files from the removed HDD are not in the pool? I didn't think that removing a drive from the pool actually deleted data from the removed drive. The error may be saying that some files that were in dup'd folders no longer have dups. If this is true, you should be able to correct that error by verifying the dup'd folder(s) using the DB dup verify tool.

If I recall aright, removal of a drive does not result in things being removed from the drive itself, rather it results in anything unduplicated elsewhere in being copied elsewhere.

That changed in v1.2.4.5 - here's part of the changelog

[pre]Release v1.2.4.5 beta (2012-02-11)

- Update: When a drive is removed from a pool, the file are no longer copied, but are now moved from the drive to the pool.[/pre]

I compared the removed HDD with the pool. Here is the result.

1) Before removing started, I noticed that the HDD had 600GB free space from Windows Disk Management. However after the removing stopped, I am not saying it is completed, the fres space on the HDD is 900GB. So there is 300GB difference and some files are apprently removed or disappeared.

2) Some files on the removed HDD are not in the pool. This indicates that the removal process was not completed.

3) Some files exist on both removed HDD and the pool.

I would like to copy back all remaining files from the removed HDD to the pool and overwrite files in the pool. If the files on the removed HDD are good, this should not impact the pool. However since there are lots of  'FOLDER.DUPLICATE.$DRIVEBENDER' folder, I wonder overwritting process would impact DB's operation.

The 'FOLDER.DUPLICATE.$DRIVEBENDER' is DB duplication folders. My question is that if I copy all files remained on the removed HDD back to pool and select 'overwrite' option, those 'FOLDER.DUPLICATE.$DRIVEBENDER' in the pool will be overwritten by the same folder remained on the removed HDD. Would that impact the normal operation of DB. I assume not because it is just a folder recognized by DB and there is no actual content in it. However I still would like to get confirmation from the community. I have asked the same question to M-DIvision and haven't received clear answer so far in two days. I am really disappointed right now.   

I cannot give a difinitive answer on your question, I believe you need to wait for a specific response from DB. That being said, it seems like you should just be able to do a validate of your dup'd folders and let DB take care of recreating/resyncing dups.