Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
tomper

Undeletable, unmovable, unrenamable folders

I regularly have problems moving, deleting or renaming folders on whs2011 which is making file management all but impossible.

The last example was a folder that refused to delete even after I had moved the folder contents to another folder.

The message when I tried to delete the folder while logged into WHS as an administrator was:

You need permission to perform this action: You need permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder.

Looking at process explorer shows db holding an open file handle to the folder plus lots of open file handles to duplicates of the now moved folder contents which it doesn't seem to release until the server has been rebooted.

I just did an experiment (from win7 client attached to WHS2011)

A folder containing an avi file on an unpooled drive on the server. Played the avi. Closed it. Navigated up one level. Renamed the folder successfully.

Copied the folder into the pool (duplication on), also on the server

Tried to rename the folder. "The action can't be completed because the folder or file is open in another program".

Tried to move the folder out of the pool. The contents get moved but the source folder, now empty, remains in the pool.

Try to delete the folder. It appears to be deleted but refreshing the view makes it reappear.

I'm getting really fed up of having to reboot my server just to get rid of a folder.

Thanks

Tom

Hi. I think i have a similar problem.

I have 6 drives mountet in my pool. But the files of only one drive are unaccessable although i can see them. When i unmount this drive everything is fine. I can see the pictures, rename or delete the files. But when i merge it into the pool, the same problems start again.

I had this problem as well and it gets very frustrating. To keep from going insane, I had to turn off folder duplication and just rely on regular backups.

I would very much want folder duplication enabled for an added layer of protection. I wish the folder duplication feature gets streamlined in the next release. The current version is practically unusable for me.

My sister has the 1.2.5.0 beta 4 and has this issue often. Can we please get an answer from DEVs on what is going on to solve this issue. I thought this was solved a long time ago back in the early stages of DB cuz i had that same issue testing out the software when it was still a free beta. This is the type of problem that is a major deal...

My sister is using this on a W7 box with drives that are in a Mediasonic 8 bay (non-raid) inclosure hooked up to a Esata card.

Any user wanting to test the a pre-release version of v1.3 specifically with this issue, please contact support.

This issue has been impossible for us to replicate no matter what we do. If anyone can cause this issue on demand, please let us know.

I've experienced this issue yesterday. I wasn't able to delete a folder from the pool. I even tried it with the dos command rd and it worked but the folder was recreated by drive bender immediately.

I'm not 100% sure but it might be a problem if the security settings for the physical hdds or the pool folders {...} are not all the same. I've changed the security settings for all my pooled hdds from the root and didn't experienced this issue since then anymore.

I might be worth a try.