Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nicodemus

NFS Shares

I know I have asked for this option be added before. So now that I am on this New forum, I would like to see the NFS share added. This would make streaming large video through Network media players much easier. NFS is so much better then the old and new SMB I have used the native windows SMB which come with Server 2008 R2 and when you have more then one device accessing the same MKV or Video_ts  or M2TS file it skips and trips. And after very long time testing and setting up severs for Home media, and have tried everything under the sun to avoid the this problem. NFS was the cure. Or changing the OS to Linux which becomes a problem as not every one has the computer savvy for that OS. So you can see what I am up against.

Add another vote for NFS. I just converted my desktop from Windows 7 to Windows 2008 R2, so I could setup NFS shares to stream to 2 WDTV Lives we have. SMB just didn't cut it, NFS works so well, haven't skipped a beat

I was just installing the latest version (have already bought a licence under the beta program). I was doing some testing with a couple of drives that don't matter as much, and went to test NFS shares from the Pool and damn, not an option.

I had tried various NFS solutions for Win 7 (Haewin, FreeNFS) and didn't find them reliable, so Windows server was the best option for me, so no going back. Not the Drive Bender guys fault, as it was never mentioned as a feature (and until a few weeks ago, I didn't need NFS), but I am disapointed, as I was looking forward to having 1 giant pool of data.

I might have to put the NFS share data on 1 disk, and then pool the rest. Not quite as good, but good enough

:(

I have tried to add the NSF to the pool but there is no option to add the NSF share. I have been running NSF for the last 5 year for Media servers this net work protocol is the only one that works. For those who run network media player.NFS is the trick to have nice smooth streaming media. with no trip  or skip.

Nicodemus

I will give my thumbs up to NFS as well, currently on my WHS2011 I have NFS enabled on several non DB Raid disks and folders.

Need it for my ESX datastores :)

It would be nice to see it being supported on the DB pools

+1

Was wondering earlier today whether the standalone "HaneWin" NFS server app is able to access DriveBender shared folders?

Haven't had chance to try it yet but might be worth a shot?

Phil

I can't speak for HaneWin, but I use windows 2008 R2 Standard Edition and I can create NFS shares on non drive bender disks.

It simply does not give you the option against a drive bender volume.

Well I tried HaneWin this evening and I'm currently playing BluRay rips from the "BluRays" share on my DriveBender pool under NFS ... so there's your solution for now. :-D

Phil

Are you on WHS 2011? Mind a mini tutorial? Im having issues getting the shares to show up

Well just upgraded my server to Windows 2012 Standard edition instead of the Essentials editions ( love msdn sometimes ) and noticed the NFS option under the DB pool was back again (Installed DB 1.9.5.0)

Upon creating a NFS share run into

Error Message: "Server for NFS cannot update the share configuration.Try updating the shared directory again, or delete and recreate the shared directory."

Which is caused by trying to create a NFS share on a virtual disk...