Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
matt897

Hard drive sleep state

Maybe i'm just a nerd, but then again we all are here. I know drive bender now has support for drives to enter sleep state and I think it would be really nice to have an indicator telling me in a simple way which drives are sleeping in real-time. It would help keep track of drive usage, and would be welcomed by a lot of users I feel.

Thank you for a great product! Keep it coming!

Drive bender seems to be keeping all 4 of my disks awake.  Are you sure it puts then to sleep?

I don't think DB puts a drive to sleep, it's just the OS and drive settings themselves (and possibly the controller?) that do that, I.E. if there's no access to the drive for more than x minutes then it will sleep.

However, there are a number of things that can stop a drive going to sleep - the drive itself (you may need to change the settings on the drive to enable power saving), the OS (check out the power saving settings section) and then potentially any application software that could be accessing information on the drive (including DB - especially the balancing settings etc.)

I have two physical drives in my pool; both sleep after the designated timeout period (60 min) if there has been no activity. What's really interesting is only one drive will wake if I access a folder or file that only reside on that drive. Sometimes the second drive will spin up a few minutes later if DB needs to do maintenance after manipulating a few large files.

Win 8.1 Pro x64. Pool consists of two SATA drives connected directly to motherboard. Pretty simple; YMMV.