Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
MikhailCompo

Advice When Reinstalling OS

Hi all

Presently I have a Win 7 Pro machine with 6 drives - 5 drives are in the drive bender array totalling 4.5 TB (the other boot drive has no partitions in the array).

I will be replacing the motherboard/cpu and installing Win 2008 R2 std onto a new boot drive (SSD), but apart from that all the drives in the machine will remain part of the drive bender array.

Can anyone offer advice on the best way to do this without loosing data?  Do I need to remove the drives and delete the array leaving data on each one before i perform the upgrade?

You should probably disconnect the pooled drives before installing, after installing drive bender reconnect the drives and it should recover the pool. I've been through it several times and have never had a problem.

Mike

Sorry can you just clarify 'disconnect' - you mean just physically disconnect them from the machine, install the OS and then Drive Bender and then reconnect the drives and DB should 'recover' the pool?  Does it need any prompting to recover the pool or will it scan on startup?

I didn't even think that the pool itself would exist after the OS install, that's a sensible approach, i like that! :)

Sorry can you just clarify 'disconnect' - you mean just physically disconnect them from the machine, install the OS and then Drive Bender and then reconnect the drives and DB should 'recover' the pool?  Does it need any prompting to recover the pool or will it scan on startup?

I didn't even think that the pool itself would exist after the OS install, that's a sensible approach, i like that! :)

I believe the steps would be to "release" your DB License, shutdown the computer, unplug all DB Drives from Motherboard, Reinstall O/S, Plug all drives back into motherboard, reinstall DB, Reactivate License, and then you MUST "RESTORE" the pool in Drive Bender. It is located under the Pool Dashboard - Advanced Settings - Restore Pool. This should keep all your information intact while you are re-installing the O/S and restore all your files on DB as well.

PS - Also you will want to note the order the drives are in. DB1 is connected to SATA Port 3 DB 2 is connected to SATA 4..etc and so forth. The SATA ports will be different for each user of course as each motherboard is a little different in how many SATA ports it has. Hope this helps.

Actually I found that you can plug them in wherever you want and Drivebender will find them. I think it uses files on the drives for identification and not locations. It's all pretty intuitive when it comes to restoring the pool.

Mike

And yes, I meant unplug the drives.

It shouldn't. People here have re-connected them to different sata ports and didn't have any problems. The data seems to be stored on the drives themselves and not on the O/S drive. Drive Bender should find the entire pool (As long as all the drives are attached) upon restore. That said, I am not one to tempt fate. With my luck it would erase everything just to spite me.  :o  So I try to keep the drives attached to the same sata ports as when I first installed them. But as Dilligaf stated, Drive Bender should find the drives correctly and restore the pool just fine. Drive Bender is different from RAID 5 or 6 in that it doesn't stripe (spread) the data across all the drives. It saves the data in a NTFS format that can be read from any windows machine. This is why it really doesn't matter which sata port the drive is connected to. Each drive itself contains the necessary information to present itself to the Pool. That it why if you pull a drive from Drive Bender and install it on another machine, you will see several Drive Bender files (along with the data of course). Those files are what tells Drive Bender where they belong in the pool. In RAID, the controller saves all the format data concerning how the drives are connected and where they belong. That's why in a hardware RAID, if the controller dies, you must replace it with the same model (or close to it).

Just to tidy up this thread, thought I should post an update.

The reinstall went swimmingly, new CPU, new motherboard, doubled the RAM, SSD for boot disk, a great storage and VM server!

Followed the instructions on here: http://support.drivebender.com/entries/20620992-reinstalling-windows-including-whs-and-recovering-your-existing-pool

After reconnecting all the drives, simply went into DB console and used the restore storage pool, took seconds.

Very impressive, shockingly easy!