Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
mark_tn

Why should somebody try Cloud Xtender?

In a reply to a post I made in Reddit earlier this year on cloud clients, someone invited me to try Clou dXtender.  I'm in.  Purchased a 2x license for home and laptop.

I like to tinker with software and technology, and this seems promising.

I use Amazon S3, OneDrive, Dropbox as storage for various projects and I've used NetDrive, Expandrive, GoodSync Pro and the native OneDrive clients. 

If you were to answer somebody's question as to why they should use Cloud Xtender, what would your pitch be?

How is it better/different than GoodSync Pro and the other clients?   (Particularly GoodSync)

Thanks,

/mark/

I have bought the '2x user license' as well. One for my homeserver and another for my laptop. Though, I haven't found a specific use for it yet, I know it will come in handy in the future. Maybe when the CX community builds up, I could get ideas from the others' use cases.

At the moment, it's just hard to pass up the pre-release discount.

I'm not familiar with GoodSync but, if I understand correctly from the website, CX allows for remote displaying your files from a cloud service, as a regular drive on your machine. That's something which, with Google Drive, cannot be done regularly (either everything is on the cloud or you are forced to mirror stuff you want access to).

Im trailing it as I simply want drive letter access to my online storage, as compared to simply having a drive letter associated with the gdrive folder....   This is my biggest gripe with some of the online storage providers... I don't want to sync all of my online content to all of my PCs, but do want to be able to access it.   I have 1tb OneDrive account, which I have mapped a drive letter too via the OS, but cant find anyway to do it with Gdrive, so CX became the solution.

I do use goodsync, but since Im using a server platform (OS came free with a chep but good spec server), the price of GS is outrageous... I would essentially need to buy an enterprise license!  They don't seem to understand the concept of a homeserver!

Whilst I wouldn't need to bundle multiple cloud services together, I would like to see CX and DB work together so I could duplicate files into the cloud from the pool, or incorporate the cloud drive into the pool, for certain content.