Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
trpltongue

Converting existing disk

Hello all,

I am trying out DB for the first time as I have a 3TB and 5TB external hard drive.  The 3TB is full, the 5TB is empty.  I would like to make them appear as 1 drive.  I have used the DB Manager and selected to convert the 3TB to a pool.  Unfortunately none of my 3TB worth of data show up in the new pool.  I've rebooted multiple times but nothing is there.  When I manually remove the drive, all my data shows again.

I thought this was the biggest selling point of DB, being able to merge disks with existing data into 1, which is why I wanted to try it out, but so far I've had no success.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Hello all,

I am trying out DB for the first time as I have a 3TB and 5TB external hard drive.  The 3TB is full, the 5TB is empty.  I would like to make them appear as 1 drive.  I have used the DB Manager and selected to convert the 3TB to a pool.  Unfortunately none of my 3TB worth of data show up in the new pool.  I've rebooted multiple times but nothing is there.  When I manually remove the drive, all my data shows again.

I thought this was the biggest selling point of DB, being able to merge disks with existing data into 1, which is why I wanted to try it out, but so far I've had no success.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

You can easily migrate existing files into a DB pool. Take a look at this KB article; post back if the procedure is not clear (hint: you may need to create a temporary mount point using Window Disk Management or the tool of your choice).

Faced with your situation I would create a DB pool with just the 3TB disk and then move the files as described in the article. Because it is a move (vs copy) the actions will take place very quickly. Then add the empty 5TB drive to the pool. In the end you will end up with a two disk, 8TB pool containing all of your old files.

DB may have a procedure to automate existing file migration at the time of pool creation. It's been a while since I created a new pool on a populated drive. Regardless, I generally use the above approach as I understand and can control the process. 

That worked perfectly.  I just assumed the convert option would do this already, but following the instructions worked exactly as described.  Now I have a nice 8TB array to work from.  Though I expect DB is doing some drive balancing in the background even though I disabled the function.  I can hear continuous operation on both the drives so some sort of head seeking is going on.  I'm not terribly worried as I don't plan to disconnect the drives, I'm just concerned that it's going to take a while to balance the 3TB of data between the 2 drives :)

Even with balancing disabled DB sets up identical directory structures on both drives. That may be what you were hearing although it should not have lasted very long. In addition there may have been some initial integrity/health checks taking place as it was a new pool. You can use the DB client or console (separate executables) to monitor background operations.