Jump to content
Division-M Community
mandanning

some files 0KB (or unreadable) via SMB - but file still there

Recommended Posts

Hi there,  long time user and fan of Drive Bender!

 

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before, and if so, has any advice:

 

I currently have a media back-end with 5 pooled drives.   I have several hundred media video files of various format.  I connect via SMB, the shared drive to my media front-end KODI (formerly XBMC).  I also have a wired computer and several wifi laptops around the house that have access to the shared folders.  My media files are marked for duplication

 

What has been happening is that on about 1 in 20 media files KODI won't run it.  It shows as 0KB through the SMB share.  The connected laptops and desktops will not run it either.  However, when I log into my backend, it's clear that the media files are still "there" and I can in fact access them through the back end.  I have gone into individual dB drives and deleted the files that aren't working through SMB and then repaired the pool and viola!  once the duplicated file is recovered it now plays through SMB. 

Has anyone had anything like this, and can anyone suggest any fixes?  I have close to 800 media files and going through each one to determine if it need to be deleted and then restored from duplication is a daunting, tedious task.

 

Thanks!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,  long time user and fan of Drive Bender!

 

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before, and if so, has any advice:

 

I currently have a media back-end with 5 pooled drives.   I have several hundred media video files of various format.  I connect via SMB, the shared drive to my media front-end KODI (formerly XBMC).  I also have a wired computer and several wifi laptops around the house that have access to the shared folders.  My media files are marked for duplication

 

What has been happening is that on about 1 in 20 media files KODI won't run it.  It shows as 0KB through the SMB share.  The connected laptops and desktops will not run it either.  However, when I log into my backend, it's clear that the media files are still "there" and I can in fact access them through the back end.  I have gone into individual dB drives and deleted the files that aren't working through SMB and then repaired the pool and viola!  once the duplicated file is recovered it now plays through SMB. 

Has anyone had anything like this, and can anyone suggest any fixes?  I have close to 800 media files and going through each one to determine if it need to be deleted and then restored from duplication is a daunting, tedious task.

 

Thanks!!

Generally when I encounter a 0KB file on some type of share it boils down to a problem with permissions. I'm sure they are fine on the back-end but somehow get farkled from KODIs perspective. Obviously that doesn't provide a solution but perhaps might lead you in a productive direction.

 

Interestingly, I have recently encountered separate instances of 0KB files with DB and CX. In both cases I had to work around the presenter (DB or CX) to 'fix' the problem which in my case was deleting the file at its source. I'm somewhat forgiving of CX as it is a recently released product that is bound to have some bugs. In the DB instance I created an NTFS junction to a non-pooled drive which went south when the machine rebooted. In retrospect that probably wasn't a good idea (and likely not supported) so I can't blame DB for that one. But it does suggest some fragility with both products given they are software based manipulations of the underlying file system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the advise revengineer.  I did that and felt pretty confident that would fix everything (because it took a very long time to go through the process...) but still, same problems with file.  Is there a way to reconstruct the pool?  Or, do you have any other suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to all of you.  Davey your advice solved it.  It appears that some of my files were not shared with "everyone" despite the entire folder (or so I thought) being so shared.   Drivebender was working flawlessly.  User error ... well, this is SMB which I truly believe requires a bit of witchcraftery at times to make and to continue to work.  Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...