Division-M Community
nagetech

Drive bender service consuming high ram and freezing

I am having an issue with Drive Bender that I can not consistently replicate. There will be times where the Drive Bender service memory usage spikes up to almost 1.9GB. When that happens, The pool is no longer accessible. If you open my computer, The Pool is there, but it no longer shows the size of it nor the free space, and trying to open it just causes Windows to report the Explorer is "Not Responding"

Trying to restart the service causes it to try and stop the dependencies (Netlogon, Server, etc) and that just results in a failure. The only fix seems to be to reboot the server all together.

An issue I see in parallel is the VhyperDrive5 is constantly throwing errors and leaving them in the Event log. When reading it, all it has in the description is -1073741684.

The server is a dual Xeon with 32GB of Ram, fully patched and up to date. The Drives (30) are attached via an external SAS Expander via a LSI Raid Controller. None of the drives are in an actual Raid, just individual drives added into drive bender to create a pool.

I am hoping we can get to the bottom of this and find out what causes the run away memory stalling out Drive Bender.

Thank you!

While I have not experienced this the subject has come up before and it appears that it occurs with a few system setup and it sounds like you may be one of them. It would be nice to know what version of DriveBender you are using as well as the server version. I also would suggest using the search function on the top right of this post to enter "VhyperDrive5" to bring up the other discussions on this subject and see if anthing helps your situation. Lastly I would suggest that you collect all the DB logs and open a support ticket and allow Anthony to examine your system logs and see if he comes up with a solution for you.

Thanks for the response. I have opened up a ticket :)

I figured I'd ask here and hope maybe the community would have something to chime in with! I couldn't find anything doing the search though :(

Hoping he can help figure this out! I'm dieing for a new version to release as I have heard it's going to be a pretty awesome one!

One thing I noted today was that the memory goes out of control when Drive Bender is doing a File System Health Check. Only then, as I stare at the process in the task manager, does the memory resources go out of control and just start to climb up steady until it reaches the 1.8GB and crashes.

Still haven't heard from Tech Support.... Update

I have been attempting some troubleshooting.

I have uninstalled everything, rebooted, reinstalled and rebooted. Fresh installation. I have disable file balancing as well as the SMART service trying to figure out what could be causing the run away memory. Like clock work, every time the file health scan starts, thats when the memory starts to creep up. After the server is running for about a day or 2, thats when it reaches "peak ram" as I now call it and then the service hangs up.

In searching some threads trying to find an answer, I came acorss an old thread that mentioned how to disable the Health Check for now until I can hear from Anthony or anyone over @ tech support.

to disable the Health Monitor in the registry ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Division-M\Drive Bender", DWORD value "Monitor Health" set to 0