Division-M Community
mavtak

Whole server crashing when Drive Bender balances files

My home server is crashing.  At this point, I've narrowed it down to happening only when Drive Bender balances files, when it actually starts to move files.

I disabled file balancing a few days ago, and have had no crashes since.  But if I enable balancing and do an on-demand balance, I the server will crash once it starts moving files.

What can I do to further diagnose (and hopefully fix) the issue?

okay, I've scanned all of the drives.  Then I re-enabled file balancing and did an on-demand balance.  The whole server cashed again.  Here are my notes from the scans:

Upper 2TB - Check, fix errors, an surface scan - no errors
DB1 -       Check, fix errors, an surface scan - cleaned up 89 security descriptors on step 3, no other problems found
DB2 -       Check, fix errors, an surface scan - no problems
DB3 -       Check, fix errors, an surface scan - no problems
BD4 -       Check, fix errors, an surface scan - no problems

The latest version is 2.3.7.0 the change logs have been posted on several posts. If upgrading has not helped your issues then it's time to gather all your DB logs, open a support ticket and submitt them for examination. It will take a couple of days for a reply but if it's something that Anthony needs to help you with he will step up to the plate and point you in the right direction if it's not a DB issue.

If it's a corrupt or missing DB driver or something similar, I think re-installing or updating DB is a valid next step before opening a ticket.

Support will likely tell you to upgrade to the latest version anyway.

A few things:

1. Check that your controller drivers are up to date and not corrupted; preferrably use signed drivers where available

2. Check your Windows event logs, particularly the "System" log, and particularly from source "disk" and "Disk" - you might find bad blocks have previously been flagged and mapped to the bad cluster file

3. Do you have a high quality power supply? And is it large enough to handle the peak load from all of your drives running at the same time? This can be a particular issue with gfx cards as well

As the signature suggests I've put off upgrading to version 2 and will continue to wait until usable VSS support is available. A landing zone isn't quite enough reason for me to upgrade at this time and everything else appears to be running happily.