Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
silkshadow

Best practice for a full pool, no more physical sata ports and a bigger SSD swap in?

I have a pool on a HTPC/gaming PC that has less than 10GBs free. Physically the computer has no more SATA ports available. I have a new 1TB SSD to replace a 250GB SSD currently in the pool. I have a USB 3.0 port and a USB 3.0 to SATA bridge/dock. So what would be the best practice here on how to do this?

Should I use DB's drive swap function? Will that even work with no space in the array?

Should I hook up the 1TB SSD via USB 3.0 and try and dump the contents of the 250GB onto it and then add it to the pool? Will DB freak out during this process as I have duplication on for some folders?

Or should I kind of plug in the new SSD via USB 3.0, add it to the pool, wait for that to finish, then do a remove from pool on the 250GB ssd, power down PC, pull 250GB out and put 1TB in its place? Would that even work via USB as I've never added a USB based drive to DB before.

Or is there mix and match or better way to do this I haven't thought of yet?

Thanks!

I'm pretty new to DB as well, but during the trial period I tried a bunch of options in a VM.

I'd try this:

Connect the 1TB SSD to the system via the USB/SATA bridge dock.  Verify that Drive Bender can see the drive.But don't add it to the pool.  You may need to format the 1TB SSD

Power down.

Swap the 250GB SSD out and install the 1TB SSD internally.

Connect the 250 GB SSD to the USB/SATA bridge dock.

Power up.

Verify the DB is seeing the 250 GB SSD as part of the pool. Verify it is seeing the 1TB SSD as a non-pool member.

Run a File System Health Check (I'm paranoid)

Use the swap drive function

Just add the 1TB drive using USB and add it to the pool. Next, initiate a remove drive on the 250 GB drive.

Once the contents of the 250GB drive have been evacuated, power down and physically remove it. Move the 1TB drive into the freed-up SATA port and power up. DB should be able to see the pool and no other action is required from your end.

Just to alleviate any worries you have, DB doesn't care about where the drives are (SATA port, USB port, etc.) even if you move drives around, unlike traditional RAID. DB identifies drives by its unique GUID.