Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
Anthony

The upgrade process

Uninstalling before upgrading  

18 members have voted

1. 1. When performing an upgrade, what are users thoughts on the installer uninstalling the older version, before installing the newer one? This does mean an additional reboot (see post below).

• No, this is too much
    • Sure, fine with me

Currently when performing an upgrade, the installation process installs the new version straight over the top of the existing installation. Most of the time this works fine, however there are instances when this process does not work as expected, and certain components do not get upgraded correctly, resulting in the pool not mounting upon reboot.

We are looking at the installer performing an automatic uninstall first, reboot, then a new install followed by yet another reboot. On the surface multiple reboot is not desirable, however given that we need to reboot at least once regardless, and a second reboot in the same time frame does seem trivial, and would solve many upgrade issues. I'm keen to get the thoughts of users...

Oh I should point out the the uninstallation process will not effect the existing pool's configuration.

I think the suggestion of the Uninstall / Reboot / Install / Reboot is better than the current Install --> Reboot --> Freak Out if it did not work --> Madly click on stuff etc --> Reboot.  Of course most of the time the current process works :) with one reboot.

Since up to now the times that I have had trouble with the upgrade progress my system has always come up I don't object to this suggestion. What I mean by that, is since my server is headless I have to RDP into the serve. Whenever there has been problems the system has always restarted, I RDP in, see that there are issues and then restart, uninstall, reinstall or whatever I need to do all from RDP. So, even though I've had issues, my system has come up. I would really dislike the new process if for whatever reason my system gets stuck somewhere and then I have to drag out a monitor from the closet, find a VGA cable from the drawer and a power cable, pull the server out, get a keyboard and mouse and plug everything in just so I could see what the problem is. Fix the issue, unplug the monitor, keyboard, mouse, push the server back, put everything back in the closet... You get the idea! So, if this process is as good at it sounds, count me in.

Knowing that the current version should be uninstalled first is perfectly fine with me. For people who don't know, you could also have the installer check whether DB is already installed and then inform the user to perform an uninstall first. Of course your suggestion is the ultimate solution but you may have other features that are worth giving priority over this.

Also, gonzo makes a good point. I too use rdp and keeping it simple is better for this. I assume though that even with the revised installer I could still do a manual uninstall and reinstall.

It's ok for me, although I did not have any issues before. By the way... could that routine be applied to the standalone version of DB-Manager too (instead of being prompted to uninstall the previous verson first)? But we can skip the reboot here, I guess...  :)

I haven't voted. I've also not had any issues with installs on my WHS2011 box. I just do the standard install of the new version right over the top of the current version. Been doing this since the beta days. I think there might have been one time I did an uninstall due to some problems, but don't exactly remember the situation.

I've also not had any issues with installs on my WHS2011 box. I just do the standard install of the new version right over the top of the current version. Been doing this since the beta days. I think there might have been one time I did an uninstall due to some problems, but don't exactly remember the situation.

Similar scenario here.

Don't mind either way as long as it works.

Might be a bit weird for DB users who don't follow the forums that closely, so an initial message should be included.

I also did not vote as the option I prefer (prompting user to uninstall but not mandating) is not one of the choices. Like others I have always performed an 'upgrade in place' and only experienced a problem once. Continuing an automated install after a reboot can be problematic on some workstations and will likely generate support tickets for things that are unrelated to DB. A strongly worded warning seems a better path IMO.

Thanks for all the feedback... looks like an extra reboot is no dramas.

With the latest Cloud Xtender release, we have introduced this concept. When you install, the installer will check the existing driver and if not current, prompts the user to allow an uninstall of the driver only (not the entire product). If you select yes, the driver is uninstalled and you are prompted to reboot. If you select no, the installation stops.

Now with this concept, if the driver is current, you will not need to reboot at all (at this stage this still needs to be tested, but this is what we are shooting for), if it does need to be upgraded, you'll need to reboot when the driver is uninstalled, then again when the new driver is installed.

OK, so upon driver uninstall and reboot, the installer will not automatically continue, right? Instead I must manually restart the installer, correct?

They should be able to make it restart on reboot via the RunOnce registry option.

Further to this, I'd like to see DB automatically download the latest (beta/stable) version ready to install.

They should be able to make it restart on reboot via the RunOnce registry option.

Further to this, I'd like to see DB automatically download the latest (beta/stable) version ready to install.

This is precisely what I do NOT want on a headless box. I want the manual control!