Division-M Community
PeteCress

Imaging/Re-Imaging A DriveBender PC ?

Windows 7 running DriveBender v2390.

For me,  of Windows Home Server's major flaws was that it kept data on the System drive - with the net result that, if the System became corrupted, it could not be re-imaged because the re-image would overlay data on the System partition that was necessary for use of the drive array in it's current state.  Something about  "Tombstone files" ?.... dunno, can't recall...but that's water over the dam.

The Question:

Can I take an image of my newly-built Windows 7 system with DriveBender installed, load the disks with data, use it for 6 months, and then re-image from that "Good" image without impacting my data ?

In my opinion the answer for Windows 7 and WHS 2011 is the same and that is, you should not have two partitions on the OS drive. You can solve the issue by first installing Win7 or WHS 2011 and then removing the D partition. In my case I even use an 80GB HDD for the OS even though you have to use at least a 120 for initial installation. I just removed the D partition and clone the 120 to the 80 and have had no problems in the years that I have been running WHS 2011. Now to your question, in my case I have ATI 2015 installed on my WHS 2011 OS drive. I have ATI 2015 scheduled to make an image of my OS hard drive every single night at 11:30 PM and store it in a backup directory in pooled drive. The backup is replaced every single night, so I only have the current image from the previous night. On two separate occassions my OS drive has died I have removed the damaged OS drive, installed new OS drive, placed boot ATI disk in CD drive, booted from CD, initiated recovery, pointed ATI to the drive that DB has selected for the backup and 30 minutes later the server was up and running from the previous night image. Since the image is daily my OS and DB are always up to date since any updates applied are then captured in the daily image 

In WHS2011 if you want to install on a smaller drive you can create a cfg.ini file on a USB stick and have it in a USB port when you do the install. The cfg.ini file should contain these 2 lines;

[WinPE]

CheckReqs=0

Using this method I installed WHS2011 directly on a 60GB HD with no trouble.

...The backup is replaced every single night, so I only have the current image from the previous night. On two separate occassions my OS drive has died I have removed the damaged OS drive, installed new OS drive, placed boot ATI disk in CD drive, booted from CD, initiated recovery, pointed ATI to the drive that DB has selected for the backup and 30 minutes later the server was up and running from the previous night image. Since the image is daily my OS and DB are always up to date since any updates applied are then captured in the daily image 

Aren't you worried that the daily imaging process will capture an image of the system in a corrupt state?

That's why I only image when I know (or, at least, hope...) that the system is good.

So it  seems like question of whether re-imaging from weeks or months ago will compromise the data in DB's drive pool is still open.

i.e. Does DB store data on the system drive like WHS 6 does ?

In WHS2011 if you want to install on a smaller drive...

I guess I should have left my little rant about WHS out of my OP since it just confused the issue.

WHS is dead to me.... I replaced it with Windows 7 and DriveBender.

My Op was strictly in relation to DriveBender: does it keep data on the System partition ?.... i.e. can I re-image from something months or weeks old without compromising DB's pool ?