Division-M Community
PeteCress

"Swap a Drive" Option: Where Is It?

I am working my way through http://files.division-m.com/drive_bender/online_help/swap_a_drive.htm?ms=AA==&mw=MjQw&st=MA==&sct=MTE3LjY=

They show the option's dialog, but give no clue as to how to invoke the option.

Tried the "Show detailed information and options for this drive" button next to the drive (both for an existing Pooled drive and a non-Pooled drive), but nothing..

Maybe I have been looking right at it and not seeing it...

??

In the main windows in the DB Manager, the drives are listed on on the left-most column. To the right of the drive name is a graphic that shows the drive's space, then to the right of that are 2 or 3 icons.

If you have 3 (a drive that's part of the pool), the first is a - sign, to remove the drive from the pool, the next is an icon with 3 drives and a back-and-forth arrow, which is the icon you want, for swapping a drive. The 3rd is an icon with a check-list which opens the detailed properties of the drive.

In the main windows in the DB Manager, the drives are listed on on the left-most column. To the right of the drive name is a graphic that shows the drive's space, then to the right of that are 2 or 3 icons.

If you have 3 (a drive that's part of the pool), the first is a - sign, to remove the drive from the pool, the next is an icon with 3 drives and a back-and-forth arrow, which is the icon you want, for swapping a drive. The 3rd is an icon with a check-list which opens the detailed properties of the drive.

Yeah... that's the first place I looked - but I do not see the word "Swap" on the resulting dialog.   Lots of other stuff but no "Swap".... either that or I'm going blind, which is not out of the question.

post-4590-0-40694100-1445878119_thumb.jpg

post-4590-0-00232500-1445878120_thumb.jpg

You've clicked the wrong icon. You're clicking the icon that looks like a check-list. Click the one to the left that shows 3 drives and a back-and-forth arrow.

If you hover your mouse over the icon, it shows "Swap this drive for a new drive" in the tooltip.

post-1753-0-41479400-1445878602_thumb.jpg

You've clicked the wrong icon. You're clicking the icon that looks like a check-list. Click the one to the left that shows 3 drives and a back-and-forth arrow.

If you hover your mouse over the icon, it shows "Swap this drive for a new drive" in the tooltip.

Got it... took awhile to soak in....but not I've got it.

Semi-tangentially:   Let's suppose that a drive fails....  What is the path of least resistance ?

1. Click "Swap Drive"

2. Remove the drive and then Add another drive

3. Connect a new drive to another SATA port, unplug the bad drive from it's SATA port, and then Add the new drive

Something else ?

Also.... after that drive goes totally out of comission, can DriveBender still return it's Make/Model/Serial Number ?

If not, it would seem critically important for users to create a list of DB Drive Names\DriveSerialNumbers against that day.

Shut down your computer.

Install the new drive.

Boot your computer, go into DB Manager.

Click on the Swap Drive icon beside the drive you want to remove.

In the dialog that opens, check the box to the left of the new drive that you're adding.

Click Swap at the bottom of the dialog.

Leave your computer for a VERY long time until it finishes.

Use Drivebender remove feature. Never yank the drive. I suggest you read the manual before you subject your valuable data to experimental treatment.

If "The Manual" is what is at http://files.division-m.com/drive_bender/online_help/to_add__merge_or_convert.htm, I'm on my second read.

If not, can anybody supply a link to the real deal ?