Division-M Community
PeteCress

"Validating File...": Does it start over again each time PC is booted?

Does the "Validating file..." process start anew each time the PC is re-booted ?   Or does it eventually finish and not run for awhile ?

Mine has been running for something like a week now - but the PC has gone up and down a few times and the last time, after an abend, I noticed that it seemed to have started over again (i.e. 20,000+ files instead of the 1,000+ it had left before the abend). 

@Pete, Have you opened a trouble ticket on this and your other problem that hasn't been replied to? the DB developer is quite helpful with these type issues. Seems like I remember something about being able to adjust how often some of the internal utilities run.

OT- "abend", I know this term from my 37 years as a MVT and MVS through z/OS sysprog.

@Pete, Have you opened a trouble ticket ....

Not yet - because I am still trying to figure out what is normal,  what is not normal, and what is just my PC.

I have spun this one off into a separate topic because I think my other posts tend to be excessively verbose and contain too many different ideas/issues...... Not to be grandiose, but I see posts in general as serving people who come later with a similar issue - and granularity makes those posts more useful/searchable while multiple issues within one post detract...

In general, my iteration of DB seems to have problems with keeping the UI screen's numbers current - but I don't know if that is just the way it is, something that may be considered a bug,  or - most likely, IMHO - my PC's rather-limited CPU power and/or my hodge-podge of mobo SATA ports and 3 different el-cheapo SATA cards.

Also, there are just sooooo many weirdnesses that it predisposes me think that it's just my environment.

Maybe I will try the Trouble Ticket route on something that is simple on the outside and easy to document - and, reaching for the brass ring, replicable in the developer's environment.

But we still have my OP question: "Does Validating file:... start over each time the PC is re-booted ?

I don't have the issues you seem to be having.  I have about 500K files in my pool and validation does not run on every reboot.

Thanks!.... That is what I was hoping to hear.

I am pretty sure now that my situation is from an abend before validation had completed.... makes sense.... DB bites the big one, parm file or whatever does not get updated with the validation progress....

I have. a similar problem. DriveBender starts validating and reduplicate the files over and over again for two days now. After I enabled CRC it seems to stopped with the reduplication and only validates the files. Does it stop for you after a few days?

I think this will solve your symptoms: httpcommunity.division-m.comindex.phptopic5670-duplication-bug-patch

It is likely caused by some update to a piece of your OS. The patch solved the problem for me. The symptoms, besides repeated Validating, is that the log is filled with reports of a duplicated file being 1 hour younger than the source file.

I am on Server 2012R2 Essentials on a Acer H340/341