Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
revengineer

DB 2.4

Yes, I had to start the DriveBender Service manually for the first time, after another reboot of the server it started automatically. For the moment I am not aware of any issues, but it's just running 10 minutes  ;)

Big thumbs down on this release. There seem to be some serious errors with it. I'm going to persevere and separately raise a support ticket, but I understand DriveBender support is now part time so am not overly comfortable about this situation.

Request #13001 logged.

Here's the order of events when trying to upgrade from 2.3.9.0:

Downloaded via Firefox

When installing it I was prompted to run the installer exe again

- when I said Yes the install failed

- when I said No the install continued but I received an error about a CAB being corrupt

Tried downloading via MS Edge, received an error regarding the signature.

- redownloaded in MS Edge, same error

- redownloaded in Firefox, no error

Re-ran Firefox installer

- clicked "No" on the re-run of the installer

- install completed successfully, restarted PC

Drive didn't mount

- Drivebender shows all drives OK and pool OK

- Log retries mounting a heap of times - "Recycling mount instance", "Unable to complete initialization, going to retry in a few secs..."

- Eventually Drivebender gives up "[Pool Manager] An error occurred while loading mount point <ID> Error: fatal error, could not successfully initialize the mount point, operation failed."

I've tried:

Rebooting about 5 times now, each time waiting 10-15 minutes until the log failed out with that last error and stopped retrying

Stopping and restarting the service, then waiting for the log to fail out as above

Rebooting in to an advanced startup with driver signing disabled, log still failed out. Tried a repair install during this mode, then rebooted, failed out in the same way.

Diagnostic info in case it's useful:

Windows 10 Pro x64

4 drives, 1 pool, attached to mobo

Upgraded from 2.3.9.0

When I did 2.4 I was prompted to first uninstall and then install the new package. I did that on my WHS2011 system and things worked just fine. I did have an issue when I tried to download on my Win10 laptop (see prior post in this thread), but the download and install went fine from the WHS box. Seems like others have had some issues with DB and Win10 also.

I wonder if there is a way to manually force driver install? The Real Time status is showing that the driver isn't installed (not that surprising given the announcement under support).

System details
Drive Bender Internal Report
Core version - v2.4.0.0
Driver version - Driver not installed!
Time - 20/03/2016 10:36:26 AM

Note: I've also tried creating the Registry Key mentioned in the announcement and then rebooting but have had no joy there either. I wonder what it's meant to do.

Did you try installing the drivers with this method documented in the Drive Bender Knowledge base?

http://support.division-m.com/entries/22865065-How-do-I-re-install-the-Drive-Bender-drivers-

I was just searching for an article like that, and your link helped me find it faster - thanks.

Just finished the forced driver install and reboot, and the pool has been successfully mounted! Hooray :)

On the down side, I'm hoping that this doesn't mean I have a frankenstein install, eg the Driver Manager could be installing an older version of the driver.

I'll wait to hear back from support and will post the result in here. If this turns out to be a fix I'll see if they want to put it on the announcement, and/or whether they decide to re-release the installer with a bugfix to address the issue.

System details

Drive Bender Internal Report

Core version - v2.4.0.0

Driver version - 5.1.163.73

Time - 20/03/2016 11:42:53 AM

So for anyone who has come across this with a similar error, my solution above seems to have worked for me (reinstall driver manually with driver utility).

For closure, here's Anthony's response to my support ticket:

"Thanks for the feedback... strangely I've just had another user report the same issue and we are investigating."

Hi.

After updating to 2.4.0.0, I am back to 2.3.9.0 again. 2.4. wasn't stable enough for me on my WHS2011, while it seem to be on my Win10 (32bit) installation.

On my WHS it looked good in the beginning but had drives turning offline from the pool. Specifically the pool was shows as 'healthy' and all drives shouldbe there,

but I realised that many files were missing in the pool. Restarting the server fixed it for maybe 24 hours....

Right now I don't think one of my pool drives is starting to die but I will have a look. For now I am back to 2.3.9.0 to see if this fixes the issue permanently

or if I got a faulty drive.

prmusic