Jump to content
Division-M Community
Tourniquet

Severe problems with v2.4.0.0

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I always had problems with version 2 of DriveBender that's why I stayed on the last V1. Recently I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 and for some reason my second pool couldn't be mounted. That forced me to upgrade to Version 2.4.0.0.

 

After upgrading I have problems with missing / broken files. For example I convert a couple of files with handbrake. Yesterday while it was working on the file I could see it. Today it's not there anymore. Handbrake said everything is fine, but the file is gone. 

 

I had the same file before on a different pool and noticed it's missing there too. 

 

How is that even possible? 

 

As I said before I always had problems with v2. I sended a lot of log files a long time ago, but the problems couldn't be fixed. I just remember I had problems with recodings from MCE after I installed V2 all new recodings were broken. 

 

Any advice? I think the best way would be to go back to Windows 8.1 and use V1 again, right?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As you are probably aware Division-M is a shell of a company it once was with development and support all but halted on consumer products. I would not expect a formal response to this inquiry.

 

I personally have experienced no issues with v2.4 on several machines and continue to use it daily. Rather than return to Win 8.1 and DB v1.x you may want to consider manually recovering your files from the respective drives (potentially time consuming depending on drive count and mirroring options) and starting fresh with v2.4.x That said, you may want to consider another product such as DrivePool or Microsoft's own Storage Spaces if ongoing support is important.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may want to try backing up your pool (as much as you can) and rebuild it from scratch.

 

The closest I got to hitting the panic button was when the pool wouldn't mount after an update. It was later determined that the update didn't install completely, leaving pieces of the older DB system files. Since then, I've been manually uninstalling and reinstalling DB (to update) and I've never had any issues with it. Certainly nothing about DB touching my files. To the best of my knowledge, my whole file and folder structure is fully intact.

 

Have you tried getting in touch with them through email? (support@division-m.com)

 

The last support instance I had with them was late Feb of this year. I requested to unlock my license because the old motherboard died. Response time was fairly quick... I got my answer in less then 2 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearly you need to make a backup before doing anything else.

 

I'd turn off file balancing if you have it on, as there is no point in moving files around if there is no need to.

 

I'm on the 2.4 release and not having this problem. I'm using snapraid to verify integrity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never seen anything like this. Problem is that the description is so vague that it would be impossible for tech support to figure this out. Your best bet is to turn on debug logging and then try to reproduce the data loss with handbrake. The fact that you lost the same file in two pools indicates a user error of some kind to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought they would still give support? I opened a ticked.

 

Yeah the description is very vague and that is the biggest problem for me, too. I looked at the logs all I can see is there are some strange "delete" actions that 100% don't come from me. I also have extrem slowdowns since I upgraded. This I had before. Sometimes I can't even copy a file anymore. 

 

My guess would be, there might be some ancient files / registry things from the early beta versions (Its the same pool I'm using since the first beta versions were out) that might make some trouble. But on the other hand I would think there isn't much that could be actually wrong, since the drivers and all other things got updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read somewhere that Handbrake would move files around after conversion. Some people have reported that even after manually setting where the file should go, Handbrake would still move the converted file to the default folder location.

 

It's a shot in the dark but I'd try searching for the file elsewhere in the pool or on your other drives, including the OS partition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...