Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
Warborg

Removed drive from pool, yet files remain on removed drive with TEMP.$DRIVEBENDER extension.

Ok, well I recently built a new server (with a new license so I didn't have to do the license dance :)  ) and moved my drives over to said server and had Drive Bender pick it up.  Things seemed to be fine for a while, but I started getting some file system errors on one drive and being pested to scan the drive.  I did so and was told whatever the problem was has been fixed, but after this happening a couple of times I decided to get a new drive and pull the problemed one to be reformatted and tested on another PC.  I installed the new 4TB and removed the 3TB in question and the migration of course took many hours but finally is complete.  Problem is there are still files left on the drive removed and those files aren't present on the storage pool anymore.  The files that are left on the drive that have been removed all have the extension "TEMP.$DRIVEBENDER".

So this leads to the question:  what the heck?  Did the removal "complete" and skip these files for some reason?  Am I in for a lot of manual work after this "automatic" process?

Well, this is lovely...  I don't know what happened at this point...  The 4TB drive I installed now shows as blank (this is the drive that supposedly my data was copied to)...  And most of the data except for what I mentioned above is still on my previous 3TB...  So I am fairly screwed.  And please no one start harping about backups, at the time I simply don't have the means to back up that much data.  So the 4TB is just showing as uninitialized now, and I'm running some partition recovery software to see if it can find it.

I'm just not sure what the deal is...  I was running an old server with an Athlon Phenom x3 (and an older verion of DB) in it but it was struggling, so I had some older Core 2 Quad hardware no longer being used, so I built a new server around it.  120GB SSD with WHS 2011 on it and installed the new version of DB.  Migrated my pool drives over and everything seemed fine at first.  Then I started having some file system corruption errors on one drive (3TB) and decided to put in a 4TB in and remove the 3TB so that I could look at the 3TB on another system without risk.  DB said the drive add and removal was complete and I didn't see any error messages.  Noticed the problem in my original post so I shut down and pulled the 3TB and put it in my system to look at it, and moved the 4TB in place of where the 3TB was.  Fired the system up and DB said the pool was in fault tolerance mode, WHS told me a new drive was connected, and the 4TB was showing up in drive management on WHS as uninitialized 2TB.  Pulled the 4TB and hooked it to my system, shows uninitialized 4TB.  So I have the sinking feeling that a couple TBs of data are just gone now.  I'm starting to think I should have stuck to my original idea to migrate to a Linux server, but then changed my mind to continue using WHS 2011 on my new server w/DB as the "easy" way...

Any input would be appreciated.

Also, I looked for log files but as I didn't have them enabled I don't see any log files in the DB directory...  But I did hit the logs link in the DB management window and it shows a bunch of errors trying to copy files...  For some reason there is a character limit per line and you can't extend the window out to see more of the line so it's a little frustrating trying to read the errors, but it seems as though at a certain point it couldn't create the directories/files saying that the destination was corrupt...  Which would jibe with something screwed up the partition on the 4TB drive.

When you remove a drive, duplicate files will not be moved. Therefore you have to run health check right away to reduplicate those files.

I am not sure how a drive can become uninitialized using Drivebender.

Did you actually loose data? Or just duplicate files?

I always save removed drives until everything is in working order again.

I should have been more clear, I wasn't certain it WAS DB that cause the hard drive problem...  I actually think that was an Intel storage driver that screwed it up.  I was just hoping for ideas, but I THINK I got it sorted as far as the drives.  I have a question regarding this though that is a bit of a headache.

The files that were left of a drive that is starting to have bad sectors that I am RMAing still has all those video files that have .TEMP.$DRIVEBENDER appended to the end.  I tried to use a bulk rename utility to remove that, but it it can't get rid of the $DRIVEBENDER part, although I can manually edit the filename to remove it.  If I were to copy these files back over (the drive is no longer in the server) will DB recognize and sort these out?

And I did save the drive, but it looks as though the files were moved and I couldn't get them back so that isn't really a path I can go down now...

I ran into a similar issue several years ago.

I initiated a drive removal and left it running overnight. The next morning, I got a dialogue box saying that the drive removal process was completed/successful. But then, I noticed that there is still data in the drive that was supposed to have been removed (I kept the drive letters so I will always have access to the individual disks). I clicked on Running Tasks in DB Client and to my surprise, it is indicating that the Disk Removal process is still running (Overall progress at 6%). If I have shutdown and removed the drive, that would have caused a potential data loss.

This was version 1.4.5.0 mind you so it may no longer be apples to apples with the current version. I just thought I should share my experience.

Yeah, still working on getting things moved over...  I've renamed them and tested them and it seems like they are ok, and the migration was interrupted so that temp extension was left over on some files...

Another issue I'm seeing is with the pool going to fault tolerance and the server going up and down and whatnot is that some of the original files/folders remained flagged as read-only so when trying to copy from a drive on my PC across the network to the folders with videos it would abort telling me I didn't have permission...  Took me a minute to spot what was going on as I was focused on checking permissions when I noticed "read only" was flagged in the folder properties...  So I am guessing through the pool repair and everything some folders/files didn't get switched back to read/write...