Division-M Community
peterh

Drive Bender with 3 SSD's ?

Are there any performance penalty if i pool 3 ssd´s  (samsung 850 evo) in to 1 drive.  will trim still work for SSD´s ?

This is not for storage ! this mostly for my game installs, it´s just easyer to handle 1 drive. 

It would depend on whether Windows detects the pool as an SSD. Here's an article that may help to know how Windows sees the pool.
http://www.win-raid.com/t70f34-Detection-of-SSDs-by-Win-and-the-use-of-the-Optimizer-former-Defrag-Tool.html

If Windows doesn't see the pool as an SSD I don't think TRIM will be sent to the pool drive. If the pool is not seen as an SSD you will need to open a support ticket to the developer. Drive Bender may need to be updated for properly handling SSD drives within a pool as a pool could possibly contain a mix of SSD and regular HDD drives.

Did any of you open a support ticket and ask Anthony? It may be that DB detects if a pool drive is an SSD and sends TRIM under the covers. If this were done correctly it would handle a mixed pool of SSD and HDD.

Did any of you open a support ticket and ask Anthony? It may be that DB detects if a pool drive is an SSD and sends TRIM under the covers. If this were done correctly it would handle a mixed pool of SSD and HDD.

I have opened ticket now, and have also installed my new SSD's that are to be used as Steam Games Library; hopefully as one drive, as that would be very convenient.

Thus far:
1. Created a new "SSD Pool" (L:) and added two SSD's to it.
2. Pool is recognized by Windows as (mediatype) 'Hard Drive' and not 'Solid State Drive'.
3. Ran the "winsat diskformal" command from link in #3, and this performed some evaluation of the hard drives. Pool is still recognized by Windows as (mediatype) 'Hard Drive' and not 'Solid State Drive'.

Noted: The SSD's themselves without drive letter is recognized by Windows as (mediatype) 'Solid State Drive', while the Drive Bender pool with a drive letter (where said SSD's is included) is recognized by Windows as (mediatype) 'Hard Drive'.

For now: I have unchecked the Drive Bender pool drive letter (L:) from Windows automated "Scheduled Optimization", but left the individual SSD's which constitutes said pool on schedule.

Q1: So... this should in theory be safer to not have Windows wrecking the SSD's with defrags and what not, that one had to turn off in earlier Windows versions back when Windows didnt recognized mediatype by itself..?

Q2: Is there any "speed test" software that could be run on a Drive Bender pool drive letter. "HD Tune" does not want to do this, as it only pulls all drives in system one by one disregarding drive letter(s) such as one that constitutes a Drive Bender pool.

All right, I am back with some answers from Support (Anthony).

In regards to performance:

"[P]erformance should be pretty good. On a raw benchmark, there may be a slight performance hit, but it would be very minimal. [...]"

In regards to my worries about that Pool (L:) is recognized by Windows as mediatype 'Hard Drive' and not 'Solid State Drive', and if that might have Windows automated "Scheduled Optimization" impact on SSD's life-span etc:

"It doesn't really matter. L: is a virtual, file level drive. This means it can only handle file level commands, and low-level commands have no effect (aka if you tried to defrag L:, it has no effect on the underlying drives etc). [...] With regards to trim... it is important to remember that while the pool drive will be seen as a standard HDD, all the drives that make up the pool are still SSD's, and the OS will deal with them accordingly... and that trim operation are performed by the drive's firmware."

I did try CrystalDiskMark on the Pool (L:) but believe that it returns gobbledegook numbers. I can however as layman say that I have not noticed any slowdowns etc having my Steam Games Library on this Pool (L:) constituted by SSD's. I am very happy with this and will continue adding SSD's to the Pool (L:).

Martin