Division-M Community
PeteCress

Changing Motherboards Without Re-Populating Pool?

If I want to upgrade my mobo - and, preseumably, re-build the system/re-install DB is there any way to keep the pool intact?

Not a huge issue.... but my backup server's 10TB takes almost a week to load and it would be nice to not have that no-backup exposure.

I'm thinking maybe there is a DriveBender database or something somewhere that I could backup and then restore on the new build.

Yes. Of course make sure you have a full backup before you start!

You probably need to unregister your db license from the current system and then relicense it in the new box. I'm sire there are instructions around here somewhere.

One you get your new MB installed and working install and license DB. If the drives are already installed it should prompt you to import the array.

Yes. Of course make sure you have a full backup before you start!

But a backup of what?...... Are we talking about the DriveBender database i was hypothesizing?     If so where does it live?    I'm looking at C:\Program FIles\Division-M\Drive Bender and nothing is jumping out at me.

Or does importing the array re-create whatever it is ?

i.e. What and why do I need to back up?

My kneejerk would be to do a (browsable later) Macrium Reflect image of  C:.

I believe he was saying to back up the pool. That being said, I've done a mobo upgrade and all I did was unregister DB before I shut down and then register DB once up on the new mobo. The pool drives were recognized and the pool was restored to the state it was in prior to the mobo swap. Once I had DB create a default pool in addition to my pool. I just deleted the default pool and all was well.

I believe he was saying to back up the pool. That being said, I've done a mobo upgrade and all I did was unregister DB before I shut down and then register DB once up on the new mobo. The pool drives were recognized and the pool was restored to the state it was in prior to the mobo swap. Once I had DB create a default pool in addition to my pool. I just deleted the default pool and all was well.

That's what I was hoping to hear.....

What I left out was that the DB box *is* the backup...... for a NAS box....

Thanks!!!!