Division-M Community
Sign in to follow this  
BradJ

Release v2.5.0.0 release (2016-12-10)

I have a question on the release notes of the just released v2.5.0.0.

Regarding:

There is an issue with enabling/disabling the SMART engine.

Does the mean Bugfix or currently a bug? The language implies it is a current bug...

Thanks.

Can't answer your SMART engine question.

I was not able to get 2500 to run on my WHS2011 box. I tried the driver update utility, tried uninstalling and reinstalling a couple of times, multiple restart attempts. On one restart the DB manager showed the pool drive and the drives in the pool, but if I attempted to access the pool drive I got an access violation. Gave up and went back to 2400 which is running fine. First boot after 2400 install I had to manually start the DB service. The WHS Dashboard hung when I tried to view Server Folders. Rebooted again and all came up as it should.

I also made the mistake of upgrading from 2.4 the new 2.5 version on WHS2011. And when I tried to uninstall it, it did not do so cleanly. I had to use Revo Uninstaller to get rid of it.  (And I think that I went overboard in how aggressive of a clean up I did since the WHS2011 Dashboard no longer works.)

After finding a copy of 2.4 at another site (since it isn't available any longer at Division-M's), installing it, restoring my pool and rebooting the Drive Bender UI can't see my pool—though it does show up in File Explorer. I've submitted a support ticket asking whether I should try the repair option, but at this point I'm pretty sure that I'm just going to set up the FreeNAS server that I've been putting off getting going and move my data to an actual industrial strength platform that I can trust and just use WHS as a backup device writing the backups to the FreeNAS server.

Similar issue on my 2008 R2 server.

The pool appeared to be mounted but received an error when attempting to access it.

Uninstalled/reinstalled 2500 a couple times, same results.

Uninstalled/reinstalled 2400 and all is well with the world again.

I installed version 2.5 on one of my Windows 10 x64 machines and all appeared to go well but I probably didn't look hard enough!

I then installed it on four other Win 10 x64 14393 machines and on all but one I couldn't get my pools back!

So I had to make a retreat back to 2.4 on all the machines except the one that is working with version 2.5

I will be a bit more cautious with the next release of 2.5

Release v2.5.0.0a release (2016-12-10)

Windows 10 Anniversary update driver issue fixed, we are now using the stock Eldos driver for Windows 10 / Server 2016.

Please report successes or failures. Particularly with WHS2011 as this is not addressed in the changlog.