Division-M Community
nagetech

New Version Stop Responding

Howdy!

Yesterday I decidd to upgrade from 2.4 to 2.5a, and all seemed like it was going well. I uninstalled the old version, rebooted, installed new version, rebooted, then rebooted once more for good measure.

While I was using the server for odds and ends, I noticed that the Pooled Drive just stopped Responding all together. I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary to it, just moving media files around. When I opened up My Computer, the Drive was there, but usually where it shows free space underneath was gone, and trying to access the drive resulted in an error.

I figured maybe another reboot was needed, so I did. Came back up, went back to what I was doing, again after some time, the same thing would happen.

When this happens, opening up the Manager or the console just results in it sitting there doing nothing. Trying to stop the Drive Bender service causes it to hang up and not close out. Even when I tried to reboot @ that point, the server just sat there for 30 minutes and did nothing, causing me to force shut it down.

I have gone back to the old version and all is well again.

I didn't get a log (as it was imperative I get the server up and running again for my users) but am hoping someone else on here has heard of this or may have some clues as to what may have happened?

Sorry forgot to mention that, it was windows server 2012 r2

If it helps, I have 3 pools setup, the only one that disappeared was the BIG one. I have Data Vault, Music Vault & Video Vault. The first two each have 4 drives in the pool, the final one has 48 drives (60TB) that's the one that seems to lock up after a bit. I am starting to wonder if Drive Bender was doing something in the background and just needed a hell of a lot of time to finish.

Does anyone have any similar occurrences?

I had also upgraded my DriveBender on the WHS2011 (based on Win Server 2008) from version 2.4 to 2.5a. Have a long time struggled with initialization problems, the mount failed repeatedly. Downgraded back to the Verion 2.4 and now, everything works again perfectly.

Hello everybody,

I experience the the problem starting with Drivebender 2.5a on a Windows Server 2012R2.

After upgrading the pool stopped responding after some time, between 0,5 and 5 days. After investigating some hours looking for a solution I decided to migrate my storage pool to a Windows Server 2016, as this was on my task-list anyway.

But there the same problem occurs. The Drive Pool stops responding after some time of use, sometimes even the whole Server stops I/O and needs to be hard reset.

It seems weird that only 2 people report this Problem.

Cheers,

Sebo

9 hours ago, Sebo said:

Hello everybody,

I experience the the problem starting with Drivebender 2.5a on a Windows Server 2012R2.

After upgrading the pool stopped responding after some time, between 0,5 and 5 days. After investigating some hours looking for a solution I decided to migrate my storage pool to a Windows Server 2016, as this was on my task-list anyway.

But there the same problem occurs. The Drive Pool stops responding after some time of use, sometimes even the whole Server stops I/O and needs to be hard reset.

It seems weird that only 2 people report this Problem.

Cheers,

Sebo

I had the same problems... I'm waiting a new version that resolves the problems... Downgrade to 2.4 seems resolv the problems, but in a few days (in W2016) they came back again :(

Bummer to hear that. I was wondering if it was a bug with server 2012 r2? I was planning on upgrading my server to 2016 at some point..... How many hard drives do you physically have hooked up to your pool?

Could it be an issue of not being patient? Maybe there is something going on behind the scenes after the upgrade that isn't giving us a "visual placebo" to let us know all is well and we are "jumping the gun"

1 hour ago, nagetech said:

Bummer to hear that. I was wondering if it was a bug with server 2012 r2? I was planning on upgrading my server to 2016 at some point..... How many hard drives do you physically have hooked up to your pool?

Could it be an issue of not being patient? Maybe there is something going on behind the scenes after the upgrade that isn't giving us a "visual placebo" to let us know all is well and we are "jumping the gun"

In W2016 DB not working for me ☹️

Well that rules out Physical Drive size.

How about the drivers? I was thinking maybe before uninstall DB to install the new version, to crack open that driver tool, and have it uninstall all the drivers, then uninstall DB, reboot, install new version, reboot. 

I may be grasping for straws here, but I just cant imagine what makes out setups different where others had success and we didn't.

Anyone running Active Directory?

Hi All... this is an odd issue, however, one thought is that this may be related to SMART. Can you try disabling the SMART service (DriveBenderSmartService.exe) and see if this helps.

Thanks for the response!

I don't have the new version installed right now as I'm worried about it causing prolonged down time again, but if I may pick your brain, what makes you think it may be that service causing the complete stalling of the I/O?

Im having the same issue with the server locking up after 2-4 days, its never had any problems over the last 3 yrs nor has there been hardware/software changes, WS 2012 R2 with 2.5a?(Latest at the time), Id like to downgrade to 2.4...how do I get my hands on a copy of older software?