Division-M Community
imnotavirus

Drive going off line & landing zone questions

Hi

I have an issue that crops up too often and when I look at what's going on it seems to be a conflict of disk access.

It seems that when there's a background operation being performed by DriveBender, like drive balancing or file validation, and myself or a program moves or adds a large file to the pool, a random drive will go off line and DriveBender will drop into read only mode. After doing some reading I've come across the idea of setting a fast drive as a landing zone drive as this may offer a buffer.

I've tried to find a detailed explanation of what setting a drive as a landing zone actually does. I eventually found the user manual, but that makes no mention of the landing zone feature.

So, some questions:

Question 1: If I have a program, like Acronis True Image, making an image of C drive into a folder on D drive (D drive is my pool) and I have a drive selected as a landing zone, my understanding is that the image file (at the moment a 130GB file) will be copied onto the landing zone then at a predetermined time after the image is finished it will be copied to the pool?

Question 2: Does DriveBender wait to clear the landing zone until any drive balancing or file validation operations are finished? or does it just do when scheduled?

Question 3: Is the landing zone invisible? By this I mean if I or a program copies files to specific folders on D drive does the files go to the landing zone first and when appropriate move it to the correct location but that I don't see this happening? (and that it appears to go straight into the folder chosen?)

Solution, If answers make sense: Purchase something like a WD 1 or 2TB black drive, add it to the pool and set this up as the landing zone.

(DB Version 2.5.0.0)

TIA

D

Since this is all done with mirrors and pulleys... The file is written to the folder you copy it to. Under the covers this is the landing zone physical drive. The file will appear in the folder you copy to regardless of which physical drive that may be on. Other than that I can't answer what exactly triggers data to be offloaded from the physical landing zone drive. Perhaps Anthony will jump in here and answer that part of your question.

OK, So I've added a WD 1TB Black hard drive and I add it to the pool, then I open the properties popup and choose to 'Set as landing zone' then let drive bender do it's stuff. Problem is that DB crashes. So I restart the pc, and everything is ok for about 2 or 3 minutes then DB locks up again. So I restart and quickly go into the DB Manager and undo the landing zone setting and all is good.

Am i missing something? Will it come good if I leave it for a few days? can't really do this as I need to access the pool daily.

T I A.

D

I think Anthony mentioned in another post where they are aware of DB 2.5 having a lock up issue and they are looking into it. I had a similar issue (can't recall if I had a landing zone @ the time) but DB would lock up after a few minutes and I had to reboot the Server :(

Back to 2.4 I went.

Got a reply back from my support ticket, looks like we'll need to wait for v2.6, which shouldn't be too far away.

I'm happy to wait. I'll post here after installing 2.6 and tested things a bit.

D

Hi,

There is a known issue with the landing zone / balancing in v2.5, we have fixed it for v2.6 which is to be released soon. I would recommend waiting for this if possible.

Thanks,
Anthony Smith - Division-M

OK, with the release of 2.6.0.0, I waited a few days in case there were any big issues reported, then gave it a go.
Installed it OK, rebooted.
Checked version in 'DB Console', yep, v2.6.0.0 = all good.
Opened 'DB Manager' and the drive that I want to use as the landing zone is part of the pool and about 50% full. So I right clicked on the 'Show options...' icon to the right of the drive and selected 'Set as Landing Zone' I think it asked me some questions, not sure it was a couple of days ago now... then DB Manager froze. Damn. But Windows hadn't locked up, like last time, which was promising.
So I open DB Console and look at 'running tasks' and see that there's drive balancing going on. This might be the cause of DB Manager appearing to be frozen? From memory, I could open DB Manager and see that there was a lot or read access to the newly selected LZ drive, so I just left it alone to do it's thing. Checked it the next day and the LZ drive (indicated by an orange line under the drive name) is empty. This is exactly what I'd expect the LZ drive to be like. Looks like it went about it's business moving the files from the LZ to the pool and then doing it's duplication/balancing thing again.
At the moment I'm copying a 350G of files from a portable hard drive to the pool and they're all going on the LZ drive (I can see this in DB Console) I expect that once done and the 6 hour time (time interval I've set to DB to clear the LZ) has passed, DB will do it's magic again and redistribute the files where they need to be and the LZ will be empty again.
I'll try and write back in a few days to let you all know how it's going, so far it all looks good.
Cheers

D