Division-M Community
nicopolous

File validation pass and file system health check

Hi. New to drive bender. I'm evaluating as I might migrate a bunch of machines from Drive Pool. 

Can someone please explain the difference between the "file validation pass" and "file system health check" that can be initiated manually in the dashboard? 

Thanks very much in advance :)

I didn't know, and the manual doesn't cover this (and is way old!) so I rand a File Validation Pass.

Note that the confirmation dialog is related to File Balancing.  It looks to be verifying that  1) primary files are on one and only one physical disk, and 2) that the correct level of duplication is being maintained for all files in the pool(s).   My validation is still running (40TB) so it will be a while until I can run a File System Health check.

Ha, found this after some googling... https://support.division-m.com/hc/en-us/articles/214027103-What-is-the-health-monitor-and-how-does-it-work-

Hmm.. I could be wrong about File Validation.

I mentioned this in a support case I otherwise had open and the author, Anthony, said:

file validation simply performs a check of the primary and duplicate and is manually started, a health check does perform a similar check but also checks other important file system attributes... and is an automatic task that runs once a week. Also see - https://support.division-m.com/hc/en-us/articles/214027103