Division-M Community
FirstAidPoetrt

Problems with scanning new files in Plex

Hi! New user with Drive Bender here! After some initial puzzlement I'm quite happy with it all, but I still have one problem I can't get around:

Scanning new media files with Plex, takes 10-15 times the time it used to before I had the media on Drive Bender. Reading is still  fast and good, but scanning folders is really slow (and possibly just opening large folders in Explorer). Is there anything I can change to alleviate this?

Drives are all fine and healthy, none of them are slow either.

I Googled this for a different drive pools software and found the advice to make sure that the "The path where local application data is stored" is not pointing at the pool, but rather a physical disk.  This setting is located under Server, General, click show advanced.  I have mine pointing at my C: SSD.  There are a lot of files in here as that is where the meta data is stored. I have > 10GB and 250k files in the folder

Enumeration will take longer as Windows has to tree-walk more than one drive to produce the file listings.

Once the maintenance has settled down after a few days, it should be better.

If you still have problems, perhaps raise a Support Ticket.

I think ruralcricket is referring to a competitor's software, such as Stablebit's DrivePool and my application data, he means the binary/exe files.

Maintenance and drive balancing has all run, so it's not that, but after some research I've come to notice that it might be related to Plex slowing down a lot if a folder has too many subfolders. which is exactly what my system would see after installing Drive Bender (previously it was four folders on different drives). I'll look into this.

Plex can store it's indexs in a location specified by you. That location should NOT be on the Drive Bender pool.    And yes, I found this searching plex forums for StableBit's product, but is relevant for DriveBender.
Indexes?

I see this same type scan slowdown with my Squeezebox music server software. A full scan of my music files on a native JBOD drive takes about 5 minutes. With my music on the DB pool drive the same full scan take about 15 minutes. I have no trouble with playing music. Since I only do music scans when I add or modify tags in my music I don't worry too much about it.

fwiw when I setup DB years ago, I had the same problem when pointing a Plex library to the pooled drive letter - the scan would take so long (hours) that it literally would be continually scanning for changes over and over as new files got added in throughout the day.

In the end I added each drive individually, which fixed the problem, but now my library consists of 20+ drive entries instead of 1, sort of defeating the purpose of DB.. lol

PS. Does anyone know if this was ever addressed/looked at? I am building a new server and wouldn't mind giving this another shot.

Does anyone know if this was ever addressed/looked at? I am building a new server and wouldn't mind giving this another shot.

I have both Emby and Plex libraries sitting in my DriveBender pool and I don't have any scanning issues.

I am currently running DriveBender v2.7.0.0.

If/when you have a problem, please raise a Support Ticket.