Division-M Community
jeremy.green

Landing Zone Disk Size checks

I have made a few assumption (which I think are wrong but need some help) about the pool configuration.

1. I have used a SSD for the landing zone to speed up writing of backup files
  2. The SSD is only 20gb
  3. There are 4 further disks each of which is 2Tb

a. I assumed that any files smaller than 20gb would get written to the landing zone initially.

b. If the landing zone filled then balancing would occur immediately or a larger disk would be selected based on available space.

c. If the file is larger than 20gb again the landing zone would get bypassed.

Is any of this true?

What I'm observing if that large files (>20gb as they are backups) are not getting copied over and there is an insufficient disk space warning.

So does the landing zone have to be much bigger, and how much bigger if a. b. or c. don't happen.

Did you review the setting in balancing? The default is to clear the landing zone once a day or when it gets to disk full %. I thinkmyou need balancing enabled as well (but not sure).  I bet the landing zone needs to be larger than the largest file.

Yes the balancing is enabled and set to clear at midnight, so the landing zone not clearing is a different issue I think (mapped the drive to see what the files were and they are old 2017)

In my case the landing zone might never be big enough when backing up servers (using WBADMIN to do the backup typically once per week).

Would be good If it fails gracefully into a most space balance mode so option b.

I think you should open a support ticket and maybe suggest a "feature". Something along the lines of being able to exclude certain files or files from a certain process be excluded from writing to the landing zone.