Division-M Community
Anthony

Patch v2.8.2.2

We have a number of users reporting balancing issues, including landing zone clearing... this patch will
a] Fix these issues
- or -
b] Allow better diagnostics via improved logging.

This patch requires v2.8

To install, do the following

1. Make sure there is nothing accessing the pool.
  2. Open the Windows Task Manager and find the process "DriveBenderService.exe", kill this process, along with "DriveBenderSmartService.exe and DriveBenderTray.exe (this will take down the pool).
  3. Download and unzip the DriveBenderWindows_2822.zip patch file, and copy ALL files to the Drive Bender folder (typically this is "C:\Program Files\Division-M\Drive Bender"), overwriting the existing files.
  4. Restart the machine.

Important note - Users running WHS, or any Windows Server Dashboard, will need to update the addin's... to install, do the following

1. Make sure the dashboard is not running
  2. Open the Windows Task Manager and find the process "DriveBenderHealthService.exe", kill this process.
  3. Download and unzip the DriveBenderWHS_2822.zip patch file, and copy ALL files to the WindowsServer bin folder (typically this is "C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin"), overwriting the existing files.

If you continue to have issues, please enable debug logging (under settings -> performance) and forward the log files onto support (do not post log files here)

When killing the executables I also accidentally killed explorer.exe and then reopened it by going to file \ run "explorer.exe".  After doing this I ran into an issue that I've seen beforeand may be related to McBluna's issue.  Basically explorer.exe (I think) goes into a crash restart loop where the start menu is completely unresponsive.  After about 5 minutes I was able to get into explorer and copy the files over and perform a reboot.  I'm running Win 10 1709, have only seen this issue maybe three times in the past year or so with various versions of Drive Bender but I'm not entirely sure if it's a Drive Bender issue or some other hardware issue with my setup.

After the reboot everything appears to be back to normal, I'll report any issues if I encounter them.  Thanks for the patch!

On 31/01/2018 at 10:56 AM, CBers said:

Thanks Anthony.

Is this only relevant to v2.8.0.0, or all versions please?

Sorry for the delay... requires v2.8

On 01/02/2018 at 5:01 PM, McBluna said:

I've double checked it. With the patch installed the start menu don't work any more on my system. Really weird.

On 04/02/2018 at 7:30 AM, obsidience said:

When killing the executables I also accidentally killed explorer.exe and then reopened it by going to file \ run "explorer.exe".  After doing this I ran into an issue that I've seen beforeand may be related to McBluna's issue.  Basically explorer.exe (I think) goes into a crash restart loop where the start menu is completely unresponsive.  After about 5 minutes I was able to get into explorer and copy the files over and perform a reboot.  I'm running Win 10 1709, have only seen this issue maybe three times in the past year or so with various versions of Drive Bender but I'm not entirely sure if it's a Drive Bender issue or some other hardware issue with my setup.

After the reboot everything appears to be back to normal, I'll report any issues if I encounter them.  Thanks for the patch!

I've also had this issue, but do not think it is DB related (not sure how it could be) as I've seen on machines without DB. With recent Windows releases, the shell is getting flaky.

On 1.2.2018 at 7:01 AM, McBluna said:

I've double checked it. With the patch installed the start menu don't work any more on my system. Really weird.

I've installed the patch to 2.8.2.2 on my second server running Windows 10 Pro 1709 and everything just runs fine.

On 2/6/2018 at 10:13 PM, CBers said:

Thanks for the reply Anthony.
I assume this will be rolled into the next release?

Yes for sure... there may be some small tweaks based on user feedback, but this will be in the v2.9 release.

I am going to try this patch out now since I had another episode of my Landing Zone having a few Gigs of data that never cleared.  I also discovered that my Primary file count and Duplicate file count rarely matched any more. 

Clicking on "Perform a file system health check on the pool" seemed to do two things: 1) cleared the Landing Zone and 2) ran whatever process it is that makes the Primary count = the Duplicate count.

I followed the instructions to install the patch, but the DriveBenderService wanted to keep re-starting after killing the process, so I had to go into Services and Stop AND Disable the both the Drive Bender Service and the Drive Bender SMART Service, then, kill the Drive Bender Service once and for all in the file manager.  After a re-boot, I confirmed the 2.8.2.2 version in the notification/alerts section. 

If anything new happens, I'll post again.

I appreciate your work on this Anthony!

The only issue I'm having with LZ at the moment is lingering *.TEMP.$DRIVEBENDER files after the LZ is cleared.  My LZ is a small 120GB SSD so any leftover files becomes a problem quickly.
I would suggest that you raise a Support Ticket, do the the devs can take a look at your logs.