Division-M Community
appledate

Temporarily remove drive to swap in new drive

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can advise whether this is safe or will cause issues.

I have a four drive pool which is very close to full. I want to replace drive 1 with a newer, larger drive.

Can I pull out one of drives 2 - 4, temporarily replace it with the new drive, swap the new drive into the pool, then remove the original drive 1 and replace the removed drive 2 - 4 back into the pool, without causing issues?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

No.

DriveBender would think you had 5 drives in the pool with one missing and probably put it into read-only mode.

Do you not have enough to room on the other 3 disks to take the contents of the disk you want to replace?

Do you have another PC that you could add either the new or old drive to?

There are options based on what your answers are.

I wonder if you could uninstall DB, remove one of the DB drives you were going to keep, install new larger drive, do a disk to disk copy of everything from the drive that is being replaced to the new drive and make sure to label it the same as the volume label of the drive being replaced. Bring the system down. Remove the drive being replaced and put the other drive back in. You should now have basically the same drive configuration you had when you uninstalled DB. Now install DB and then boot the system. Seems to me that this should work. I would open a ticket and run this past the developer to see if there's a "gotcha" here that I've missed.

https://support.division-m.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

EDIT: I think you might have to unregister your DB software before uninstalling it and then reregister when you reinstall it.

Added to what w3wikes stated, you could disable the DB service instance reboot. the pool should be gone but the drives visible.

Since your drive 1 is to be replaced, shut down and remove one of the drives 2-4 and replace it with the new larger drive, and reboot.

Copy the content of drive 1 pool folders to the empty new drive.

re-enable the DB service.

shut down and swap out drive 1 for new drive

put in the removed drive (2-4)

boot.

you should be good.  If you are not, you can still put back old drive 1 and be back where you started.

Thanks very much for the responses.

I don't have space  in the pool to redistribute the files (I'm about 2TB short of being able to do that).

I do have other PCs I can connect the new (or old) drive to which are networked to the server with the pool.  If I add the new drive as a networked drive to the pool in the first instance, then remove the old drive (balancing the files from the old drive onto the new drive), can I then migrate the new drive to  a local drive in the server?

I do have duplication enabled for some folders, but I could probably disable that temporarily if needed.

I'd be a bit reluctant to start removing/reinstalling DB as I've had some issues bringing the pool back online in the past when doing things along those lines, so I'd prefer to leave that as a last resort.

Since you have other PC's you can use why not just pull the drive to be replaced, put it in another PC along with the replacement drive and do a full copy of all contents from the old to the new drive, label the new drive to DB <whatever it was> and then put the new drive back in the DB pool machine and bring it up.

I would do something a little different to w3wilkes's suggestion :)

I would force remove the full drive from DriveBender.

Then physically remove it from your PC and put in 2nd PC.

Add the new bigger drive to the 1st PC, format it and add it to DriveBender.

Then copy the content from old drive direct to the pool (across your lan).  Only the content, not the DriveBender folders etc.

Your choice of how you do it and then only if you're happy doing it all.

Just coming back to update, I took the approach of a force removal, adding the new drive to the pool, and then copying the files back over the LAN. It worked just fine, although it took a full day to copy the 3TB over wifi and verify the transfer. Thanks for all the help.

I just had to do the same with a failing 3Tb, but fortunately I had sufficient space in my pool, so I just force removed the drive, added a drive letter to it and then copied the files back into the pool.

Once completed, I pulled the drive and replaced with a 6Tb.

Job done.