Division-M Community
Cypher64

Pool passthrough to hyper-v vm

Good day all, is there anyway to passthrough the pool to a hyper-v vm?

Right now Drivebender is setup on the server (Server 2016) and mapped out.  My Plex VM accesses the data via the network share.  Would be nice to have direct access to the data instead of a mapped drive.

Right now Drivebender is setup on the server (Server 2016) and mapped out.  My Plex VM accesses the data via the network share.  Would be nice to have direct access to the data instead of a mapped drive.

I'm not certain if you can accomplish this with drives that already have files on them, but you can definitely use physical drives with hyper-v.

I think I'll work on moving this to a vm this weekend.

I'll create a new pool on one of the vm's and then start removing 1 drive at a time from the original pool.  Once the data is moved off the drive I'll put the drive offline and add it to the vm.  I'll copy as much data as I can to the new pool and then rinse and repeat 10 more times.

Just from a sys admin background I would say you don't want to setup this way.

Your Hyper V host should be only that, not running anything else. You can pass disks directly through to a VM if you want, but MS don't recommend it and there is no performance or other benefit over just creating a VHD on the disk the maximum size and assigning this to the VM. There are benefits to a VHD over pass through disks around portability and recovery and there is no issue mounting a VHD on any Windows system to view the files if required.

In saying that I have passed the disks 

Sounds like you should look at having one VM for managing the storage, running Drive Bender etc. and another for running Plex?